Curve Derivative

2754   4   0
477 posts
Hello,

I am playing around with the VOP SOP tool, to create a custom wire deformation tool. It is working nice so far, I am using the xyzdist function to get the shortest distance from every Point “P” in the Deformation geometry to the curve, which I exported to a Geometry file (“…/MyCurve.bgeo”).
The xyzdist function is yielding the distance (dist float) and the Point on the curve (primuv vector). I can use these Parameters to some things already, but it would be also nice to get the curve u Parameter and the Derivative at the Position u (Speed vector) (d/du)C(u). My Question is, is it possible to get these Parameters and if yes what is the easiest way and is it also possible to get this all from a curve object directly (without exporting to a *.bgeo).
I ll appreciate any help
8582 posts
just create tangent vector on curve using Polyframe SOP, then access it using primuv() from the desired u value

and you don't need to export as geo, in CVEX based ops like Attrib VOP SOP you have geometry input strings directly, in all wrangle nodes you can use @OpInput1-4 to access the input geometries and there is always op: syntax to get geometry from any node directly for VOP SOP
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
477 posts
Very nice thanks Tomas, all of your advices seems to work fine.
I had only to resample the curve before using polyframe to get a smoother result (so it looks like, you cannot get a tangent vector from a NURBS-Curve directly).
8582 posts
you can always get position at certain u which your tool currently requires then u+0.001 and u-0.001 (so you'll have like P1, P2, P3)
then normalize( ((P1-P3) + (P2-P1))/2 ) will give you approximate tangent
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
477 posts
ok this is working fine thanks alot
  • Quick Links