Smoke with different buoyancy direction

10402   3   2
19 posts
Hey everyone

can anybody help me? I need to make smoke that comes out down of a tube and then rises up in the air.
With the bouyancy direktion -1 it goes down that is clear. but how get it after that up in the air? the smoke should rise around the tube.
I hope you know what i mean

Thanks for your help i´m still a newbie in Houdini
I7 4790K
32GTXGB RAM
780 GHz 3GB
Win 10
8551 posts
just play with temperature
keep buoyancy direction upwards
then positive temperature will make smoke rise, negative fall down

so start with emitting negative temperature
and then either set temperature of your colliders (Physical tab) to some high positive value or selectively paint some positive temperature on the colliders on places you want to heat your smoke (Container Tools shelf/Paint Temperature)
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
Staff
2540 posts
Buoyancy is driven by the temperature field in the simulation. The hotter the faster. In the direction you specify.

What's doing this is the Gas Buoyancy DOP.
Inside the Pyro Solver, there is the Smoke Solver. Inside the smoke solver, there is the Gas Buoyancy DOP. This is what is taking temperature and mapping directly in to the vel field in the direction you specify.

If your smoke is pouring downwards and then is affected by buoyancy afterward, then do that. Add some initial velocity to your emitter geometry going downwards in that Object either directly in the Fluid Source SOP explicitly or add a Point SOP with some initial velocity going down in Y.

See attached example file.

Attachments:
smoke_flow_down_rise_with_buoyancy.hip (1.7 MB)

There's at least one school like the old school!
19 posts
Thank you so much!
This was really helpfull!!!

Thanks
I7 4790K
32GTXGB RAM
780 GHz 3GB
Win 10
  • Quick Links