Cannot create a node inside a locked asset ?

9844   2   1
9 posts
hey guys,
im a new to Houdini.

recently i got into this problem , looking for solutions

“PermissionError: Cannot create a node inside a locked asset”

im dont know how to fix this and what is wrong .

all i was trying to export particle cache into .prt .
———————
another question ,
what is the proper workflow to export paticle cache?
i use file node to read cache files and connect to export node.
but im not sure if that is correct?

any advise?

:roll:
Staff
2540 posts
You can un-lock the asset and work inside as you will.

Find the top level node asset, then RMB (RightMouseButton) on the node tile icon to access the node menu.

Select “Allow Editing Of Contents” option and this should allow you to work inside an asset. When you are done, don't lock the asset if you want to keep your changes.

If you want to update the asset with this change/improvement/tweak for security and reusability in the future, you can RMB and open up the Edit OpType Properties, convoluted name for Edit Asset Properties and in that dialog, top line, rename your .otl file with a version number and press Apply to create a new asset with your changes without writing over the existing .otl asset file on disk, assuming you want to keep the old asset as is, a good idea imho.

As well RMB on the top level asset and choose the option “Match Current Definition” to lock it up. Think of this as the “Lock Asset” menu option. We picked these names in 2003 when Houdini Digital Assets were first put in to Houdini6 in 2003…

Sometimes users create assets within assets as Houdini allows infinitely deep asset nesting. So you may have to unlock two or more assets as you traverse in to the folders to allow editing.

Houdini internally is a folder system where nodes can be folders and operators at the same time. The only thing is that you have to traverse networks to get to stuff when setting things up.

I like this as it allows you to compartmentalize stuff to manage very large set-ups effectively with no worry about naming conventions or aliases.
There's at least one school like the old school!
9 posts
thank you jeff.

something i missed in my topic is,
i cant creat “particle”, nor “particle fluid” at first time.
which mean i cant create top level node as well…
when i choose particle shelf and click in the scene ,
the window showed up said “PermissionError: Cannot create a node inside a locked asset” .

ps: i uninstalled and reinstalled the Houdini ,
it still shows up…

im not sure if this is still a lock/unlock node problem , but still thank you for your reply
  • Quick Links