Softimage to Houdini guides

216716   335   9
304 posts
uh..not in my version. Page 190 talks about how to do it manually with two nodes, one with a render flag and the other one with the display flag.
It says nothing about the Render Polygons as Subdivisions that´s OUTSIDE. At OBJ level.

I know Jordi probably knows about this option and prefers to do it by hand, but I would mention it, because it´s the most quick way and for the reasons I mentioned above.
Javier Meroño
FX TD.
4189 posts
Netvudu
uh..not in my version. Page 190 talks about how to do it manually with two nodes, one with a render flag and the other one with the display flag.
It says nothing about the Render Polygons as Subdivisions that´s OUTSIDE. At OBJ level.

I must have the secret version

Attachments:
RenderAsPolys.png (578.1 KB)

655 posts
Thanks, Julian here at Realise pointed it out and it has been already corrected by adding one more slide.. therefore you have 2 options but i wanted to keep the DISPLAY/RENDER approach which is so interesting for many reasons.

Some typos have been fixed too.

thanks again.

Netvudu
Very good job on shading, Jordi.
I like that you are demystifying what usually is a very overwhelming and intimidating part for new Houdini users.

Just one little nitpick. When you mention using a different subdivision level for rendering and animation, you might want to mention the “Render Polygons as Subdivisions” option at the Render tab on the Geometry node.

I understand it doesn´t give specific subdivision level options, but sometimes it´s a fast “fire and forget” option that allows for very high geometry subdivision at render time in the best Renderman-like tradition, and it´s somewhat controllable with the creaseweight attribute.

I mention this because it comes in handy for those projects where you need to subdivide but your OpenGL refuses to show it because apparently you want to break a new polygon number record.
655 posts
He was too fast.

;-)

MartybNz
Netvudu

304 posts
jordibares
Thanks, Julian here at Realise pointed it out and it has been already corrected by adding one more slide.. therefore you have 2 options but i wanted to keep the DISPLAY/RENDER approach which is so interesting for many reasons.

ah…great minds think alike
Javier Meroño
FX TD.
174 posts
jordibares
He was too fast.

;-)

MartybNz
Netvudu

everybody had figured out but to make a clean doc before p190 you specify to be in “mesh” mode but the render flag works only on “polygon” mode.

Honestly these geometry primitives are confusing.
In houdini 13, there is
-Polygon -> Render Flag Ok -> mantra caltmull-Clark ok -> opensubdiv ok
-Mesh -> render Flag doesn't work -> mantra catmull-clark ok -> opensubdiv doesn't work
on some primitive there is also
-Polygon Mesh -> render Flag Ok -> mantra catmull-clark ok -> opensubdiv doesn't work

edit: halfdan, sorry haven't responded you for now but yes will log my inset and bevel “bugs”
387 posts
Just a little correction. On page 152 there is written that “there is no automatic conversion normally from different types”.

There is and works in SHOPs too: http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini13.0/shade/vops [sidefx.com]
at the bottom of the page: Automatic type conversion
655 posts
Thanks so much pezeko, now is fixed.
8 posts
What about ICE to VEX guide?

P.S. Sorry if this question already was.
655 posts
I am afraid this is on the cards but will be one of the last to be done as it is the biggest by far and I am going to need additional help to do it.

i will certainly talk to some Softimage and Houdini friends that will hopefully give me a hand.

Stay tuned.

WotS
What about ICE to VEX guide?

P.S. Sorry if this question already was.
655 posts
A small one on AOVs (frame buffers)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/22l2sx82m75buxj/H-0buUQAUP [dropbox.com]

HoudiniGuides_Shading_3_AOVs.pdf

Enjoy
Edited by - May 6, 2014 09:46:34
379 posts
Thank you Jordi for this!
1390 posts
Just a small correction to part 1 of shading guide: VOPs networks as a mean for custom shader creation were introduced in Houdini 5.5 afaik, that is 12 years ago! (source) [sidefx.com] A year later VOPs were aviable also for RSL.
655 posts
Thanks! corrected in a less specific way.. ;-)
655 posts
Well, tomorrow I am on a shoot so I did prepare this basic Ambient Occlusion guide for those XSI users that use it given I won't be available for the whole day.

I would love some Houdini expert to clarify why do I have to set the background colour to 2 if possible as this is really strange… Am I doing something wrong?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/22l2sx82m75buxj/H-0buUQAUP [dropbox.com]

HoudiniGuides_Shading_4_AmbientOcclusion.pdf
Edited by - May 6, 2014 09:46:41
4189 posts
In the Shading AOVs, p 216 . talking about more network traffic and exrs with tons of extra image layers; Do you still have issues now with Exr2? It's meant to just load in the layers pulled, not the entire file as in Exr1.
10 posts
Jordi, this is ultra awesome - i don`t remember, if i ever had so much pleasure reading the software documentation - you made it all clear and simple, what is what, where lives, why it is needed. Thank you for your hard work!
655 posts
Mmmm I will have to double check… I was not aware of that and my latest recollection was with Nuke. Have they support for this functionality?

Will check, thanks for the info.

MartybNz
In the Shading AOVs, p 216 . talking about more network traffic and exrs with tons of extra image layers; Do you still have issues now with Exr2? It's meant to just load in the layers pulled, not the entire file as in Exr1.
655 posts
Thanks so much for your kind comments, it is very encouraging to get feedback like that and carry on with this approach.

(Plus my mother will love it, she was a maths teacher and one of the very good ones.. ;-)

nikaragua86
Jordi, this is ultra awesome - i don`t remember, if i ever had so much pleasure reading the software documentation - you made it all clear and simple, what is what, where lives, why it is needed. Thank you for your hard work!
4189 posts
jordibares
Mmmm I will have to double check… I was not aware of that and my latest recollection was with Nuke. Have they support for this functionality?

My mistake - just testing in Nuke8 and rereading the OpenExr2 docs, this appears to be a figment of my imagination, or hopes.

edit: it'd be worth testing in Nuke8 re-writing the file with ‘interleave’ set to channels - the pop-up says it's optimised for read performance, and intial testing seems to show it.
Edited by - March 24, 2014 17:55:17
  • Quick Links