What's the best way to lag an object on a path?

3243   4   1
246 posts
Hey all,

Like the title says, I'm looking into the best way to add lag/spring/overshoot to an object whose world transformations (translation and rotation) are based on a path. I'd like to be able to control things like overshoot, etc. (ie. lag CHOP/spring CHOP) but I'm not sure what the most efficient way to do it is. I've come up with a few poorly conceived solutions but there has to be a better, more efficient way using CHOPs that's probably staring me right in the face.

Thoughts?
387 posts
Duplicate your object, remove path follow constrain on this duplicate, align it to same position as the original.

Select new unconstrained object (duplicate), then in Animation Shelf select Lag, pick your original object (on the path) set overshoot values, hide original and enjoy.
246 posts
I knew I was missing something obvious, thank you!
Staff
2540 posts
Hi Terry!

Here's another approach where a null is used as the constraint to the path object. Then use that fed in to a simple CHOP network that applies two Lag CHOPs, one to the translates and one to the rotates then exports this to a second object.

When MotionFX was added to the parameter UI to add CHOP modifiers to parameters, it does allow you to key on top of CHOPs.

The Path constraint is different and doesn't work the same way. You have to add that second object that is driven by CHOPs export with the lagged animation.

See the example file. With the proper control (I'd recommend to separate out the rotates from the translates and lag each independently), that's about as efficient as it can get with CHOPs.

Attachments:
lag_chops_on_path_animated_obj.hip (95.0 KB)

There's at least one school like the old school!
246 posts
Hey Jeff!

that's terrific, thank you! Very elegant and simple, and I like the independent translation/rotation control.
  • Quick Links