HOUDINI_PATH undefined

6080   3   1
47 posts
I feel like an idiot for even asking this, but why is my HOUDINI_PATH variable undefined on my personal machine? I'm on Windows (gag me)

>>> hconfig -a

HOUDINI_PATH := ‘<not defined>’

And from the python shell in Houdini, this is what I get:
>>> hou.expandString(“$HOUDINI_PATH”)
''

Despite this, everything does seem to work in Houdini. I just wanted to add some more directories to the script and otl search path, and based on the documentation, it says that I should add them to the HOUDINI_PATH variable.

I haven't set the variable by hand in the system environment, obviously, but I kind of expected that I wouldn't need to, since it's such an important variable.
333 posts
hi,
i think this variable doesnt need to be set.
I think it always will go look into $HOME/houdiniXX.X

if you want to add a custom path to scan you can edit the houdini.env in $HOME/houdiniXX.X

if you want to add a custom otl scan path you can add:

# Example:
#
#HOUDINI_NO_SPLASH = 1

#SET CUSTOM OTL PATH VAR:
CPATH=GHoudini/Custom

#SET SCAN PATH
HOUDINI_OTLSCAN_PATH=@/otls;$CPATH/otls;$CPATH/otls_folder2

hope this helps? i'm really not much into the topic but i use this way to load my custom otls and the qlib and it works great.
2624 posts
Ben Andersen
I feel like an idiot for even asking this, but why is my HOUDINI_PATH variable undefined on my personal machine? I'm on Windows (gag me)

>>> hconfig -a

HOUDINI_PATH := ‘<not defined>’

And from the python shell in Houdini, this is what I get:
>>> hou.expandString(“$HOUDINI_PATH”)
''

Despite this, everything does seem to work in Houdini. I just wanted to add some more directories to the script and otl search path, and based on the documentation, it says that I should add them to the HOUDINI_PATH variable.

I haven't set the variable by hand in the system environment, obviously, but I kind of expected that I wouldn't need to, since it's such an important variable.
\

Not sure why you are using HOUDINI_PATH

for otls you should be using ie

HOUDINI_OTLSCAN_PATH=CProjects/otls;$JOB/otl;&
Then in the houdini cmd line tools shell run hconfig -ap to make sure the paths expand and are correct

Rob
Gone fishing
47 posts
Ah, great. Thanks.

I was trying to use HOUDINI_PATH, since that's what it says here, before the bit about HOUDINI_OTLSCAN_PATH:
http://www.houdinitoolbox.com/installation.php [houdinitoolbox.com]

So I wanted to see what HOUDINI_PATH actually was and then couldn't see what it was, even inside of Houdini. I was confused.
  • Quick Links