help me to choose the best CPU and GPU

4777   5   0
42 posts
Hi guys

I want to cange my processor to Intel Core I7-4770 Haswell 3.4GHz 8M LGA 1150

and board to Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 Socket 1150 and I dont know what is the best GPU for gaming and houdini (not quadro it is expensive in Egypt )

and the best for render a processor support overlocking or a processor doesnt support it .

please help me
Staff
5164 posts
You might want to look at the just-released i7-4970K, which has a good speed bump on the 4770K and has VT-d and TSX fully enabled (all the other K series CPUs Intel has released have these features disabled):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117369 [newegg.com]

As for the GPU, I'd recommend an Nvidia card with at least 2GB of VRAM. The next Houdini release beyond 13.0 will support consumer GPUs, so anything from the GEForce 700 series should suit you. The base 750 model will give adequate performance (if you can find one with 2GB VRAM), and after that it's up to you how much you want to spend on faster viewport display. For OpenCL simulations, you'll need a card with more VRAM (3GB+).
42 posts
another opinions please !!!
42 posts
up up up up up
637 posts
well there are plenty of options but what are the main areas? simulations or rendering? whats the budget?

twod has given some good options and he should know whats ideal for houdini :-)
Staff
5164 posts
If there's an issue with my initial recommendation (budget, availability, etc), let me know and I'll suggest something else
  • Quick Links