How to use custom per point attributes in DOPs

4793   7   2
37 posts
Hey there,

I'm playing around with Wire Dynamics. For that I created a curve and gave every point on that curve a custom attribute (e.g. a Ratio from 0 to 1 from beginning to end of the curve)
No I would like to use that attribute in my DOPnet to modify for example the mass or elasticity . I can see that the attribute arrives properly in the DOPnet and I've tried to access it with a Point()-Expression but as I can't enter $PT as Index, I can only access the attributes values for certain Points.
I think in a Particle Simulation I would use a Pop wrangle for that but couldn't find the equivalent for Wire Sims.

Is this at all possible?

Cheers, Michael
1391 posts
You should just add a custom point attribute with same name for your special parameter (e.g kangular for Angular Spring Constant) , check attached project 8)

Attachments:
JKWire.hip (184.5 KB)

https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
8592 posts
you can as well look through docs to find which attributes your object will recognize automatically
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini13.0/nodes/dop/wireobject#idm47406248528416 [sidefx.com]
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
37 posts
Thanks guys, works like a charm! Coming from ICE, I clearly have to adjust my approach and understanding of Data flow
I love the way it works in Houdini!

However, what happens when I set the values in both networks? Are they multiplied?
I can see, that something is happening, but the details view doesn't show anything changing or at least I can't find it ops:
8592 posts
as written on the page I've sent you many attributes serve as scaling factors for the parms on wire objects

by each attribute you have if it's a scaling factor or not
if it is, it multiplies the parm on Wire DOP object, if not it sets the absolute value (like fexternal, v, angvel, etc…)

EDIT: just be aware that the values are combined by the solver, so you'll not get combined value in the details view
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
37 posts
Damn…I guess I should learn to read before asking to many questions…Sorry for the noise ops:

And thanks again!
59 posts
Hi,

Can anyone help me get the width attribute form an l-systems tree into the wire solver?

The wire object seems to show that it has a width attribute, but it had a value of zero.

I want to feed the width value from the l-system into the width field on the wire object.

Is this even possible?

Many thanks if you can help me.
Edited by dansidi - May 26, 2017 06:46:28

Attachments:
l-system_wire_test_04.hip (148.9 KB)
Capture4.PNG (377.4 KB)

8592 posts
as I described above, look at the page and see that width is a scaling factor to Width attribute on Wire Object
so just set that attribute to 1 and the wire will have exactly the same width as defined by your attribute
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links