Subdivision on polygon meshes imported through Alambic?

3806   7   1
375 posts
Hello gang, sorry if the question seems obvious but I'm an absolute newbie here 8)
I would need some help with imported Alambic… I imported a whole XSI scene with multiple models that contain simple polygon meshes (low poly modeling).

I don't know what's the matter but I can't subdivide them in Houdini. I'm not trying to simply increase the polycount, I want a non destructive subdivision on these meshes just like in XSI.

So here is what I tried:

If I create a cube polygon mesh, I can go to parameters > render > display as = subdivision surface.
But on this imported Alambic geometry, this drop down is not available.
Do you have any idea why?

Thanks guys,
Gz
Houdini gamboler
50 posts
grendizer
Hello gang, sorry if the question seems obvious but I'm an absolute newbie here 8)
I would need some help with imported Alambic… I imported a whole XSI scene with multiple models that contain simple polygon meshes (low poly modeling).

I don't know what's the matter but I can't subdivide them in Houdini. I'm not trying to simply increase the polycount, I want a non destructive subdivision on these meshes just like in XSI.

So here is what I tried:

If I create a cube polygon mesh, I can go to parameters > render > display as = subdivision surface.
But on this imported Alambic geometry, this drop down is not available.
Do you have any idea why?

Thanks guys,
Gz

I have noticed, if you import an animated alembic, you pretty much cant use modeling sops on it, even if you unpack the geo (which actually makes sense, doesnt it?). I suppose your problem has the same cause..
8 posts
rewrite your alembic file as a bgeo sequence and reload it with a file sop
258 posts
put a convert node convert it to a regular geo, then you can do whatever you want
Head of CG @ MPC
CG Supervisor/ Sr. FX TD /
https://gumroad.com/timvfx [gumroad.com]
www.timucinozger.com
375 posts
Thanks for the answer and sorry for the outrageous delay file sop worked!!!!
Houdini gamboler
375 posts
Hmmm I'm back because, once again, I'm confused here.
So the XSI scene imports fine and I can subdivide its multiple objects, but… I can't select anything! It's like the “file” node is only refering to an external alambic file that can't be altered…. How can I select things and start working on them?
Houdini gamboler
443 posts
Just load as Houdini geometry.
375 posts
I don't see this option…
Well now I used FBX and it works better. I just get the geometry but at least I can start working on this scene LOL
Houdini gamboler
  • Quick Links