Houdini flip sim to Maya

10559   16   2
23 posts
Hi All,
I am doing a flip sim in houdini in which character is coming out of sea,i just want to know is it possible after simulation in houdini and can we take back that simulation in maya 2013 to render.

Thanks
1769 posts
export the resulting mesh to alembic, make sure you choose HDF5 format, maya 2013 only supports that.
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
23 posts
Thank you so much Daniel,
i will try this in my scene.One more query i have,i know how to take a objects from maya to houdini just not sure about how do we take a camera from maya to houdini.

Thanks
Staff
2540 posts
Camera out of Maya, can try both FBX and Alembic. Both support camera data.
There's at least one school like the old school!
23 posts
Thanks Jeff,i will try this in my scene file.
23 posts
Hello Everyone,
One more query,is it possible to take white water sim to maya and render it.I tried via alembic to export the white water from houdini to maya but in maya i can see the particle node but not the particles.

When i m making my object to vdb ,its giving the warning(geometry has been converted to quads and triangle)does it affect the collisions.

Thank you so much Jeff and Daneil,the solution you gave for my queries is working fine.
443 posts
One more query,is it possible to take white water sim to maya and render it.I tried via alembic to export the white water from houdini to maya but in maya i can see the particle node but not the particles.

Maya's default alembic doesn't support particle export and import. Use exortex alembic and remember that's not free.
443 posts
When i m making my object to vdb ,its giving the warning(geometry has been converted to quads and triangle)does it affect the collisions.

That means you are either using geometry type Primitive or packed that have single primitive. Vdb need polygons and automatically converts incoming geometry to polygons (quards).
443 posts
If geometry is not polygon and you want polygon use convert sop to convert it to polygon.
23 posts
Thanks Pradeep

Now after using the convert node,VDB is working fine.I was reading the forum
and i got to know that importing houdini particles to maya is also possible with houdini engine.I will try that today.

just i want to take houdini particles to maya2013 for rendering.
443 posts
just i want to take houdini particles to maya2013 for rendering.

Is there any special reason you want to export particles to Maya?
Mantra rendering is awesome.
There is good chance for Maya to crash with higher particle count like 25 millions.
23 posts
Hi Everyone,
Thanks so much guyz for the help.Finally able to take houdini particles to maya through exocortex and houdini engine.

Thanks pradeep, exocortex is free,you have to give ur email id and they will forward u Exocortex Alembic.

Thanks
23 posts
Hi Everyone,
Thanks so much guyz for the help.Finally able to take houdini particles to maya through exocortex and houdini engine.

Thanks pradeep, exocortex is free,you have to give ur email id and they will forward u Exocortex Alembic.

Thanks
443 posts
Yes, but that have 75 frame limitation.
443 posts
I don't know whether they have removed that in current version.
23 posts
i m not aware about previous versions but i hv taken 200 frames alemic file to Maya.
94 posts
Since December, Exocortex alembic is free to use, this is why you don't have the limitations of the 75 frames (source:http://exocortex.com/blog/exocortex_crate_alembic_goes_open_source [exocortex.com])
  • Quick Links