Question Flip Fluid surface movement

4945   7   0
2624 posts
Hi All,
Ive been playing with the flip and pretty much ironed out most issues. Except one thing , note how the reflection shimmers in the pool of flip liquid per frame. I am using a viscosity of 300 and a friction setting with the flip object.
All indications from the flip dop object dont show crazy values in the vel values. The mov example does have reseeding set to on. No matter what I try I cannot get a smooth pour. The reflection jitters due to the surface movement between frames . In the flip solver the update surface is set to default in the motion tab .
I get less jitter with reseeding off but of course its no good for filling a volume without it. Could there be a connection between the points reedseeding and rebuilding the surface.
This issue must of come up before any ideas ?

Rob

Attachments:
flipmk2_test_v005.mov (527.6 KB)

Gone fishing
2624 posts
See attached for a based scene where I have left pretty much everything at default apart from viscosity.

Movie also attached showing the flicker in detail. Very much interested in solutions and the technical reasons as to why it happens.

Rob
Edited by - Dec. 3, 2014 17:29:26

Attachments:
rse_flip_test_flicker.hip.mantra1.mov (612.4 KB)
rse_flip_test_flicker.hip (2.5 MB)

Gone fishing
2624 posts
increased sub steps on the flip solver doesnt fix it . But shows the flicker in great detail.

Attachments:
rse_flip_test_flicker_v02.hip.mantra1.mov (334.0 KB)

Gone fishing
2624 posts
So far I have tried the following .
1)Increase min sub steps on the flip sim dop
2)VDB from particle fluid
Adjusted the voxel scale ie made smaller > high frequency flicker still there
3)Adjusted the influence scale + Droplet scale , no change just will make your fluid blobby if you push it to far
4)VDB smooth SDF with VDB reshape > no change , the high freq flicker is still there.

Rob
Gone fishing
2624 posts
An update , ive fixed a lot of the flicker caused by settings in the solver but note the high frequency ripples. I am certainly starting to think using flip to fill an object is not the right approach !

Attachments:
rse_flip_test_flicker_v06.mov (111.2 KB)

Gone fishing
606 posts
circusmonkey
I get less jitter with reseeding off but of course its no good for filling a volume without it. Could there be a connection between the points reedseeding and rebuilding the surface.

Hi! Sorry I can't test right now, but sounds like maybe you've got your culprit figured out already there? In what way does the whole sim misbehave if you would disable reseeding?

Is it the birthing or killing of particles that is the problem? Is the birthing essential for the surface band, could you set things up so that new particles are not created within the 1 voxel radius of the surface? (maybe create another, offset, surface field that you'd use in the gas seed markers dop within the flip solver?) Have all new particles be birthed with a 0 pscale and have them scale to their real scale in the first couple of frames of their life time, might help?
2624 posts
Hi Eetu,
Glad you could chip in. Its interesting you should mention that, if you note the above video , it looks pretty flicker free with reseeding on, I got round it by setting the surface and vel fields to recalculate every frame from scratch. Not at all ideal but it works when the fluid is not a large mass , as soon as you start filling any object like a glass or a bowl , the volume becomes more unstable and the flicker returns.
I attempted to do some debugging by writing all the points out and blasting points , on the surface the points dont seem to have crazy values in both P and vel between frames.

The fine reflection ripples show in the version above which I find interesting considering the friction values and viscosity ! .

Rob
Gone fishing
2624 posts
Back onto this problem.Here is a flip sim with reseeding set to off . Note the high frequency flicker. Still there.
What I find interesting is there seems to be no answer to this issue. yet plenty of threads about it with no answer.
Rob

Attachments:
rse_flip_test_flicker_v06.hip.mantra1.mov (513.1 KB)

Gone fishing
  • Quick Links