H14 Graphics card requirements

4399   8   0
2624 posts
I saw the updated post about graphic card requirements for h14 from what I can tell then my 2010 macbook pro will need to be replaced

Operating System: Mac OSX 10.9.4
Number of Cores: 4
Physical Memory: 8.00 GB

OpenGL Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M OpenGL Engine
OpenGL Version: 2.1 NVIDIA-8.24.15 310.90.9.05f01
OpenGL Shading Language: 1.20

?

regards

Rob
Gone fishing
606 posts
Looks like that. Nvidia specs agree, 2.1 only: http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gt-330m/specifications [geforce.co.uk]
Staff
5161 posts
The 330M is a GL3 part, so it should not require replacement. That requirement page doesn't go into detail with mobile GPUs, unfortunately. For some reason there's a lot of slight OEM-variations when it comes to mobile. The only thing it won't be able to do are some of the advanced GL4 features. But since the main one in H14 is Pixar's OpenSubDiv, and their shaders crash & burn on OSX anyway, there's really nothing you're missing out on other than some performance enhancements.

Incidentally, you'd have to go way, way back to find a GPU not capable of GL3.3 (unless you have an Intel iGPU, in which case you only have to go way back; the i7/5/3 2000 series is GL3.1 only). Both AMD and Nvidia have stopped making drivers for their GL3-only cards, as well.
Staff
5161 posts
eetu
Looks like that. Nvidia specs agree, 2.1 only: http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gt-330m/specifications [geforce.co.uk]

The GL rating on most product pages is very often wrong. It's updated once at the release time of the card/GPU, and seemingly never again. Often new GL specs are released that the GPU is capable of, but product pages rarely update. ie, all AMD/Nvidia GL3 cards are capable of GL3.x.

I use wikipedia for checking specs on GPUs when I'm a little unsure of a product - “List of Nvidia/AMD/Intel graphics processing units”. It's always very up to date.
606 posts
Ahh, I stand corrected, good to know!
Staff
5161 posts
Apple has also recently created a page to sort out all the GL/CL version issues: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202823 [support.apple.com]

To summarize, you either have GL3.3 or GL4.1 hardware.
152 posts
My Late 2011 MacBook Pro
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB Ram
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB
OS X 10.9.5

Is having a very problematic viewport issue with point selections. I basically can't select points. If I create a box, jump into point select mode and try and select the top 4 points, I either A) get all points shown as selected with the highlighting and if I append something like a transform sop, no points are included in the group. B) a complete random selection of highlighted points. If I append a transform, I in fact get a very disturbing transformation because the group of points selected were in fact not the top four points but a random selection of points instead.

I've contacted support and they simply stated that my graphics card does not fall under the supported cards for H14.

Rob, I noticed you were discussing your 2010 Macbook Pro, are you having any issues like that?
2624 posts
Hi,
Sorry my macbook pro uses a Nvidia card and in any case I am having a few issues and crashes with OSX 10.9.4 .

rob
Gone fishing
152 posts
Yeah, unfortunately, if the point selections issue is not randomly fixed (since it seems like my graphics card isn't supported), then I will just need to get a new computer….

Been trying just about everything to see if I can get it to work, and stumbled upon some other oddities. If I create a box for example, and then at object level, grab the handle and begin to translate the box up, sideways, or wherever, a circular distribution of points show up around the cursor. As I continue to translate the box, if the cursor's position gets near one of the “points in the circular distribution” around the cursor, the point gets highlighted. While translating, the box begins to jump around the viewport.

Eh… really? a new computer! Just don't want to buy a new one, just to find out that this was in fact just a bug.
  • Quick Links