Houdini tool with grid input

1549   2   1
29 posts
So I have a tool that needs to take a grid layout that is generated from another program and generate geometry based off of that.

The external program can spit out pretty much anything I want (strings, arrays of vector2s, whatever) that will define layouts such as the ones in the attached file. These layouts will not always be the same size and need to be expandable to a (currently) unknown size.

I'm pretty new to Houdini and I'm still getting the hang of handling the various input types. I was thinking an array of Vector2's would do the trick, then I could turn those into points and turn that into a houdini grid and go from there. Problem is the Vector2 parameter isn't an expandable array…

So how and what would you feed houdini to generate a grid layout? An xml file maybe? Not sure if/how houdini can read xml…

ideas?

Oh another note, these grid cells will eventually hold extra data (the room type, if it should contain a door, so on and so forth) so the solution would hopefully be able to pipe in that info as well.

Attachments:
grids.gif (3.6 KB)

7722 posts
Why not just output a .obj file and then load it into Houdini using a File SOP?
29 posts
Not out of the question, but I think we're going to try feeding in a json string and parsing that with a python node.
  • Quick Links