New Renderman tutorial in Houdini

10735   11   1
39 posts
Hey guys

Ive stumbled upon a really good tutorial on pixars website, about renderman 18/19.

http://renderman.pixar.com/view/TheGrandTour [renderman.pixar.com]

It seemed like a really cool looking project, and since prman 19 was not out as non-commercial at the time, i thought how easy/difficult would it be to try and do something like that in houdini.
Now im not a lighter or a shader writer, im an fx td, but this really was a challenge for me and an opportunity to play with pbr and shader building, and i have to say i was blown away by how easy it is to set up the shaders and to get the project rolling.

So ive downloaded all the project files and exported them as alembic and started building the shaders and trying to replicate them the same way the tutorial suggests. Since the project files had textures and models, it was only the shader building part and the lighting on my part. The difference also is that in the tutorial they already have the shading models and they would build the shading network, where i had to do everything.
Sometimes mantrasurface was enough, other times i had to build one in shops from scratch.

I also used the delay load archive as well as houdini instancing geo to try and do grass, since fur wasnt cutting it. The curve render is good but renderman has a setting to make the curves appear like they are rounded, which makes the spec look quite different.
Since i wasnt able to reproduce this (i did try some hacks suggested by odforce crew, it became too complicated and wasnt giving me proper results), i modeled couple of strands myself and instanced it. Final grass count was around 50000000 and it took 8 min to start the render. Im guessing writing the ifd maybe?

Also the new fur system is pretty cool, i had to learn how it works tho since ive never used it before.
The guide hair system is great and i managed to replicate the top hair of the character, since guide hairs were provided with proj files. Sometimes i would have trouble to try and find some attributes that are named differently in maya, but what ive concluded is that there should be a help page illustrating how to properly use fur (something like a quick tutorial). I know there are pages in help trying to do this, however its split on per fur tool basis, and i was kinda looking more for one page to go over every tool, since i would have to navigate back and forth a lot to try and get to information i needed. And i side navigation bar would help quite a lot in help

The rock shader with moss was a fun thing to do, and ive concluded that there is no way that mantrasurface shader can by default provide an ubersystem solution. Multiple times i found myself wanting to have a way to hook a ramp or a noise patter onto a parameter without diving inside and digging thru the connections.Other times i would simply find the guts of the shader too messy and spending more time finding where i should hook something up, so i would just create a shader from scratch. And the mantrasurface model did provide me with enough inside information to figure out how everything worked, so that was very good.
Ive stumbled across some bugs in the meantime and informed sesi thru RFE about them, such as zbrush tangent vector displacement.

All in all it was extremely fun, and very rewarding i would think to go thru this project, and i got to learn some new stuff as well.
Thumbs up for SESI how much they have improved the entire system, tho there is still work to be done. (default ptex map loading in mantrasurface doesnt work due to links from uv)

Here are some images i managed to render let me know what you guys think (i dont know if this should be in WIP section, if so admins please move it):

Attachments:
car_prman.v01.mp4 (898.0 KB)
car_prman.v05_all.1.jpg (694.0 KB)
car_prman.v05_all.5.jpg (1.5 MB)
car_prman.v05_all.6.jpg (1.5 MB)
car_prman.v05_char.1.jpg (442.4 KB)

2561 posts
Pixar's website is broken.

New users can't sign up to get the new Non-Commercial release of the software. At least I can't. I signed up and never got any followup emails that are generally issued automatically from such systems. So I try to sign up again and discover that indeed my user name is already taken (by me) but is still in some pending state.

I still wonder what is the point of using RenderMan in this day and age. Such a cumbersome system.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
39 posts
I still wonder what is the point of using RenderMan in this day and age. Such a cumbersome system.

Well thats exactly the reason why i tried to do the same tutorial in mantra. Not only did it do a wonderful job, it was a great fun playing with the shaders and lights.
And also i dont have a reason to have maya installed, and to use prman.
4189 posts
Enivob

To be precise - Renderman is a spec and their are other renders such as 3Delight that are based on it - it is anything but cumbersome and there is lots to learn about rendering from using it; of course if you are happy to be a layperson, then disregard.
39 posts
That is true, but the latest prman is becoming a bit cumbersome, esp since a move from sl to c++ has complicated writing of the shaders, and separation of REYES vs RIS shaders has also introduced another level of complexity.

At least in houdini when you make a shader or if you use the mantrasurface it will work in micropoly or pbr, where it seems that now you have to use separate shaders in prman.

Also i did test the character from the tutorial in prman with fur, to see how long it takes to render, and it wasnt as fast as mantra in RIS mode.

There is much to be learned from prman for sure, but having mantra integrated into houdini and being as powerful at producing good quality result is big advantage over many other software packages that come with half as good native rendering engines. And then having to rely on additional rendering engines and additional cost of buying them as well as learning them.
4189 posts
yep - the c++ is very weird; but 3Delight got it right

http://www.3delight.com/en/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4237 [3delight.com]
39 posts
Oh thats cool

Its been a while since i played with 3dlight, ill have to look into it and see how they managed to solve the RIS problem.
Thanks
2624 posts
it is anything but cumbersome and there is lots to learn about rendering from using it; of course if you are happy to be a layperson, then disregard.

I going to have to disagree. I have been using PRman 19 + Katana and its very cumbersome. The defaults are completely bizarre , lights render as objects , need direction reversing , setting single sided , then you have to build all your own hooks to view through a light , ie Renderman is a standalone application and you need to build your own tools to connect from your chosen application.
The shaders … near impossible to apply a simple export unless you can write your own C++ version of the Disney shader or the lack of any creative control ie simple fall off on a light .

The time and effort required to get anything like the functionally of mantra + Houdini is so huge I know that Id rather be trying to focus on other creative aspects than just trying to get simple functionality out of the box.

Rob
Gone fishing
4189 posts
circusmonkey
it is anything but cumbersome and there is lots to learn about rendering from using it; of course if you are happy to be a layperson, then disregard.

I going to have to disagree. I have been using PRman 19 + Katana and its very cumbersome. The defaults are completely bizarre , lights render as objects , need direction reversing , setting single sided , then you have to build all your own hooks to view through a light , ie Renderman is a standalone application and you need to build your own tools to connect from your chosen application.
The shaders … near impossible to apply a simple export unless you can write your own C++ version of the Disney shader or the lack of any creative control ie simple fall off on a light .

The time and effort required to get anything like the functionally of mantra + Houdini is so huge I know that Id rather be trying to focus on other creative aspects than just trying to get simple functionality out of the box.

Rob

Thanks Rob - this is to do with the Renderman spec and associated renderers, ala 3Delight, not the Pixar's implementation of Photorealistic RenderMan.
1391 posts
Also I think Mantra is a best rendering engine for Volumetrics such as Fog , Fire , Smoke , Explosion and even particles , it can render them with Raytrace Shadows and EnvLight very fastrer than others .

Also writing new material with VEX for Mantra is so easy and advantage , native rendering engines such as Maya Software or Max Scanline are not very powerful while Mantra is very powerful with full features : Deep support , GI , Caustics , SSS , AO and etc .

of course I know Shader programming with VEX is pretty like to Renderman programming and it's good for Houdini Artists.

you can simply pass any custom data (Point's Attrib) to the Mantra and using them in your custom shaders .

however in my opinion , we need to know at least two Rendering Engine , using Mantra for rendering FX and another for environments . So I intensively waiting for releasing Houdini version of RenderMan from Pixar .
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
1391 posts
Enivob
Pixar's website is broken.

New users can't sign up to get the new Non-Commercial release of the software. At least I can't. I signed up and never got any followup emails that are generally issued automatically from such systems. So I try to sign up again and discover that indeed my user name is already taken (by me) but is still in some pending state.

I emailed to rdavis@pixar.com and he answered me very fast :arrow:
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
2561 posts
Thanks Joker, I'll try that email. I scoured the Pixar website this morning and all I could find was a sales email which I sent a request to.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
  • Quick Links