OctaneRender for Houdini development preview

34688   65   7
129 posts
Newbility!
83 posts
Testing the support of the Houdini primitives, nurbs o bezier surfaces rendered as tessellated meshes in Octane.

Attachments:
image000460.jpg (540.0 KB)

Computer Graphics Software Developer
83 posts
The new features of Octane 3, that will be available in the Houdini plugin along this year, after the initial release this summer

http://home.otoy.com/otoy-unveils-octanerender-3-worlds-best-gpu-renderer/ [home.otoy.com]

-Juanjo
636 posts
juanjgon
The new features of Octane 3, that will be available in the Houdini plugin along this year, after the initial release this summer

http://home.otoy.com/otoy-unveils-octanerender-3-worlds-best-gpu-renderer/ [home.otoy.com]

-Juanjo

sorry, but the release date is too much of marketing.
summer for a alpha version and in the second half of the year the release? that could be december that's fully 9 months away.

but at least they ad the required features so nice to see. :-)
136 posts
juanjgon

-Juanjo

This is a HUGE release with support for VDB and volumetrics, and also OpenCL(no longer limited to Nvidia). Maybe now i can transit from Quadro to Firepro(w7100 has 8GB of VRAM). Thank you for your great work, i can't wait to play with the beta….
75 posts
Curious to see how the OpenCL implementation stacks up to CUDA. If LuxMark is any indication it could be a huge boon. But from what I've read previously with other renderers with dual support is that it won't compare. Any initial hints with regards to Octane?
83 posts
Full support of the Houdini instance node. The instances are rendered using the powerful Octane instancing feature.

Attachments:
image000502.jpg (1.2 MB)

832 posts
Nice!

Is there a way to pass different shader parameters to each instance. ie, allows each tree to have a different colour?
83 posts
paul
Nice!

Is there a way to pass different shader parameters to each instance. ie, allows each tree to have a different colour?

In Octane you have a shading node to get a random number for each instance, so for example it is easy to build a shader to get a random colors in the trees.

-Juanjo
832 posts
Instance random number useful.

Are we able to recover geometry attributes from within the Octane shaders? We're always using geo attributes to drive shaders..
83 posts
Not currently. The GPU shaders and nodes can't evaluate CPU attributes from the host application at render time to avoid performance problems. Anyway this can change in Octane 3 with the support of OSL to build our custom shaders and nodes

-Juanjo
832 posts
Thx, I was hoping you'd say that

Btw, what's the plan for linux support. I imagine most people here are v linux dependant..
83 posts
I want to support Linux ASAP

BTW … usually what Linux Houdini version is used in the studios (gcc 4.4, 4.6 or 4.8 )?

-Juanjo
832 posts
We're all moving (have moved) to gcc 4.8.

Think that'll be a v safe bet for you.
606 posts
Check out the VFX Reference Platform; http://www.vfxplatform.com/ [vfxplatform.com]
83 posts
Thanks !!!

-Juanjo
83 posts
Rendering particles with Octane

Attachments:
image000503.jpg (1.4 MB)

129 posts
wow!
83 posts
While waiting for the native OpenVDB volume rendering of Octane 3, even now we can render volumetrics with Octane 2.2 and the amazing Houdini volume conversion tools

Attachments:
image-000753.jpg (416.5 KB)

96 posts
Looks amazing, I'm already using Octane in C4D all the time, and this will be such a win also from a pipeline perspective! Just prepare everything in Houdini and spit out an ORBX in the end and there we go

Do we have any update regarding the Houdini Indie situation? Because right now that's all I have access too…
  • Quick Links