OctaneRender for Houdini development preview

34682   65   7
83 posts
Hi,

I am just starting this thread to post here all the news and features about the upcoming OctaneRender for Houdini plugin.

I have also started a Facebook page about the plugin. Feel free to follow all the Octane for Houdini plugin news through it if you are a Facebook user:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/OctaneRender-for-Houdini/592646160865484 [facebook.com]

The Houdini plugin development is moving in the right direction. All the Octane nodal system is now working seamless inside Houdini and there are no problems so far. Attached you have two screen grabs to see the plugin in action.

The plugin has a custom SHOP node to store both the Octane render target (the octane rendering preferences) and the Octane shading nodes, integrated as VOP nodes with custom input/output pins. Also the Houdini camera is now fully supported by the plugin.

All the plugin is built around a custom ROP node, and developed using only the HDK with 100% C++ code to make the plugin as fast as possible. It is amazing see Octane rendering inside Houdini, with it's lightning GPU unbiased rendering speed and quality … you are going to love it

See you soon with more news about the plugin development

-Juanjo

Attachments:
image000314.jpg (225.0 KB)
image000310.jpg (221.5 KB)

Computer Graphics Software Developer
24 posts
Thats really good news. Thanks for your work.
383 posts
Cant wait to try it ..
I am already a happy user of your Lightwave Plugin !!
www.woogieworks.at
83 posts
New feature: Support of the amazing Octane network rendering inside Houdini.

The Octane network rendering allows use up to 12 GPUs in mixed environments (Windows, Mac or Linux) to render the current image.

Each render nodes only needs a Octane Standalone license to run the network daemon, and new licensing system for render nodes are now under study by the Otoy team.

Of course you can have more than one GPU in the main workstation or in the render nodes, all supported with only one license/machine.

Attachments:
image000316.jpg (202.0 KB)

383 posts
Amazing !!
Does Octane already support the gtx 970 and 980 ??
www.woogieworks.at
83 posts
dulo
Amazing !!
Does Octane already support the gtx 970 and 980 ??

The Otoy team is working on the render code to get the best performance possible from this GPUs. They works now without problems, but the rendering performace is slower than the 780/Titans GPUs.

-Juanjo
1769 posts
Looks very promising!
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
1104 posts
That looks amazing ! Will it work with Indie license or do you need the real deal ?
/M

Personal Houdini test videos, http://vimeo.com/magnusl3d/ [vimeo.com]
83 posts
MagnusL3D
That looks amazing ! Will it work with Indie license or do you need the real deal ?

In theory the plugin could work with Indie, because currently it only uses the plain C++ HDK, but this is something to be confirmed.

-Juanjo
1104 posts
juanjgon
MagnusL3D

In theory the plugin could work with Indie, because currently it only uses the plain C++ HDK, but this is something to be confirmed.

-Juanjo

I just want to scream out in joy if it did
/M

175 posts
juanjgon
MagnusL3D

-Juanjo

Can anyone confirm this please ?
83 posts
First tests with the functions added to support the nice Octane Motion Blur in objects and camera transformations.

Attachments:
image000324.jpg (913.5 KB)
image000321.jpg (806.2 KB)

83 posts
First animation to test the mesh deformations motion blur in Octane.

http://www.vimeo.com/111863633 [vimeo.com]

-Juanjo
1104 posts
You are getting me way to excited
/M

379 posts
Even it might be possible to make 3rd party render to work with Indie, that is not allowed. Indie can not be used with 3d party render engines AFAIK.
4189 posts
SreckoM
Even it might be possible to make 3rd party render to work with Indie, that is not allowed. Indie can not be used with 3d party render engines AFAIK.

Simple - just define yourself as a 2nd or 4th party renderer and you can now render :twisted:
175 posts
So Houdini Indie users are forbidden to use Octane render ?

SreckoM
636 posts
tinyparticle
So Houdini Indie users are forbidden to use Octane render ?

SreckoM

At the moment it tells it doesnt work with third party renders but in the license agreement i haven't found a restriction (it was a quick search). so it could be fine or sesi will add a third party render support license.
136 posts
Hi juanjgon,
If this works with Indie, it's a huge news for all of us. Even if it doesn't, it's still is a very-very nice news. I do have few questions: i wonder what of the following are supported:
- hair and fur;
- particles;
- volumes;
- vdb
Do you have a time frame for the plugin release? Thank you in advance for the answers.
C
83 posts
I want to support hair and fur, instancing and particles as object instances. Currently Octane doesn't support volumetric rendering.

I am now working integrating the Octane interactive render in Houdini. It is early to know the release date, but I want to begin with the beta testing as soon as possible, in the 1Q 2015.

-Juanjo
  • Quick Links