Quadrangulate the model

36243   9   3
24 posts
Is there a way to convert triangulated model into quads like Quadrangulate operator in Softimage? I found a trick with a tristrip but it's not what i need, cause this method will create distorted quads.
1799 posts
unfortunately not out of the box.. it did not take long to make my own if you want to take a stab. For mine, I did:

- write a python SOP to find the longest edge on tris and put them on a group
- do some more filtering based on some rules (i.e. use a group SOP to subtract border edges from that list)
- once you are happy with the edge group, dissolve them
- use divide to “catch” any polygons which may end up with more than 4 sides
- pack it up into a digital asset

you may also be able to promote a few parameters which may give you some flexibility for some cases. For me, this worked well on finding quads on meshes which have an obvious quadrangulated underlying geometry (but not on very disorganized, or very “delaunay” like geometries such as the ones you get from the remesh sop
-G
300 posts
grayOlorin
unfortunately not out of the box.. it did not take long to make my own if you want to take a stab. For mine, I did:

- write a python SOP to find the longest edge on tris and put them on a group
- do some more filtering based on some rules (i.e. use a group SOP to subtract border edges from that list)
- once you are happy with the edge group, dissolve them
- use divide to “catch” any polygons which may end up with more than 4 sides
- pack it up into a digital asset

you may also be able to promote a few parameters which may give you some flexibility for some cases. For me, this worked well on finding quads on meshes which have an obvious quadrangulated underlying geometry (but not on very disorganized, or very “delaunay” like geometries such as the ones you get from the remesh sop

that said having a proper quadrangulate function in the divide would be nice

as well as a Zbrush style quad remesher
*hint hint
24 posts
grayOlorin
Thanks for your advice. I will try to make an similar asset.
27 posts
a subdivide will turn everything to quads…of course you get 3 times the primitives…
Doolittle: Don't give me any of that intelligent life crap, just give me something I can blow up
27 posts
just tried the triangulate tool with softimage and I have to admit it works awesome on objects that were originally quads… not so great on scanned objects…
sort of the same with maya though Maya's doesn't work as well as softimage.
Doolittle: Don't give me any of that intelligent life crap, just give me something I can blow up
24 posts
Does someone have an asset like this to share?
Houdini Indie 18
Win 10 64-bit
85 posts
try Instant Meshes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6wtw6W4x3I [www.youtube.com]

and look at this (instant meshes and Houdini).
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/44816/ [www.sidefx.com]
— dedeks 3000 —
1 posts
Hey,

I Know it's an old thread but maybe someone finds it later with the same issue.

My problem was I got subdivided Triangulated Meshes, and I desperately needed an untriangulated quad version of them.

Houdini 18 has “Labs Quadrangulate” tool (you need to enable the “Labs” shelf, earlier it was “Game Development toolset” in 17.5), which removes exactly the right edge you want (You may need to set a different “Edge to Collapse” number).

Works like a charm for me!

Peter
  • Quick Links