RFE: Add groups via VOPs

9647   13   4
696 posts
I find that I'm frequently doing work with attributes in vops, and then using these attributes in an if statement in a group sop to put some points into a group.

Would this be more efficient if we could create and edit groups directly in vops? My understanding is that it's slower for Houdini to evaluate an hscript if expression than it would be to do the same thing in vops… so it's definitely low priority RFE, but it might be nice to be able to create/edit groups in vops.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
1390 posts
symek@hp2:~$ vcc -X sop | grep group
void addgroup( string; int )
int ingroup( string; int )
void newgroup( string )
void removegroup( string; int )

Is that it?
696 posts
It appears to be, but I can't seem to get it to work
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
696 posts
ah, yup, got it working correctly now

I can't really tell if it's more/less/just as efficient during cook time…. so due to the amount of time it takes to set-up, and due to the lack of visual cues as to whether the point is added to the group (no viewport highlighting) It's probably not worth doing it in vops afterall.

But interesting to know that it's possible.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
575 posts
i user them in popsims, grouping based on expressions is too slow, but with vop it is quite fast
257 posts
In vops I tend to use the create_point_group and add_point_to_group (inside an if statement) a lot, especially when the logic is more complex than the evaluation of a single attribute.

*) I also then often use this resulting group as a blast group in a blast sop.
*) If it is only a single attribute I need to check against for blasting I tend to go with the @attributename==1 in the blast sop.
Both these approaches are faster than the delete sop.

There used to be an error when the group you created in vops was named “group”, not sure if it is still there.
Cg Supervisor | Effects Supervisor | Expert Technical Artist at Infinity Ward
https://www.linkedin.com/in/peter-claes-10a4854/ [www.linkedin.com]
8525 posts
I'm using Point To Group VOP a lot too and I consider it very efficient and not that difficult to setup, it's just one node inside of If.
And if you need visualization you can colour those points in the same VOP maybe through some temporary Visualization switch.

but I've never used Create Point Group VOP, how is it useful except maybe creating empty group? Since Add Point To Group VOP will create the group if it does not exist.
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
575 posts
if You want to use a group, that does not exist, you get a error, so You need at least a empty group
1390 posts
sanostol
if You want to use a group, that does not exist, you get a error, so You need at least a empty group

I've never encountered this. Add Point to Group VOP, and addgroup() create a point group if needed, at least this is what I observe
121 posts
Hey guys, what's the alternative for the Point To Group VOP in H14?
Available for new projects
271 posts
claudio_101
Hey guys, what's the alternative for the Point To Group VOP in H14?

Can someone please answer this? There seems to be no way to do this now. The addgroup node is still in the help file, but there's no way to get to it and no alternative in VOPS.
121 posts
I found this to be very helpful!

https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=38673&sid=2673cf8d49589dfd39c4c752da4e72e0 [sidefx.com]
Available for new projects
271 posts
Apparently it's now the addattribute VOP
http://forums.odforce.net/topic/21694-sidefx-releases-houdini-14/?p=129427 [forums.odforce.net]

Would be nice to mention in the help card that the node is deprecated and we should use the addattribute VOP instead.
271 posts
Thanks for the link claudio
  • Quick Links