Deleting glue constraints as part of a RBD simulation.

9074   6   2
29 posts
So I know how to set up glue constraints and destroy them as part of an RBD simulation (hit them with a heavy object), and I know how to delete them by scripted event (the table example that comes with Houdini). But does anyone know how to do both? I want to hit a fractured, glued object with a heavy object, doing some damage. I then want to drive the other glue constraints and destroy them as part of the animation. Right now, trying to just do both methods as they are used in the example files, the second I try to delete a constraint manually, all the constraints that were destroyed as part of the RBD get re-created and locked.
8591 posts
example?

I never had problem doing both together
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
Staff
733 posts
In this case the Overwrite with SOP parameter shouldn't be used, since it will completely overwrite the constraint network's geometry each frame (which will restore any constraints that were broken by the solver).

I think the simplest approach is run a SOP solver over the constraint network's geometry to remove any primitives that no longer exist in your animated constraint network (if you set up a primitive attribute with a unique id for each constraint, then this can be determined easily with the findattribval VEX function).
29 posts
sample attached

Attachments:
fracTest.hip (334.6 KB)

29 posts
Awesome, thanks for the suggestion cwhite. Worked perfectly. Adding glue to the packed RBD already thows a SOP solver on there so I just plugged into that with a delete by bounding and drove the bounds by $F. Works like a charm.
6 posts
but this file gives some errors…how to solve?

Attachments:
Capture.PNG (158.1 KB)

8591 posts
that file was before the solution, if you want to do what NakedChicken described as solution to his file in very next post, just move Delete1 from /obj/glue_box_object1 to /obj/AutoDopNetwork/remove_broken

Attachments:
fracTest_fix.hip (345.9 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links