Crowd Trigger Current State Duration

2621   4   1
2561 posts
I am working on a crowd sim and I have two state, a walk and an idle. What I want to do is have my agents walk for a while then go idle then start walking again.(repeat randomly)

The defaut Crowd Trigger that is generated from the Simulate shelf tool does not seem to have any effect except at the start of the sim. My agents start off idle then begin to walk.

If I change the type to Animated Parameter, and keyframe a few value changes from 0 to 1 then 0 to 1, once again I can achieve only a single transition.

What is the key to transitioning between multiple states at multiple times?
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
Staff
733 posts
You need to add a separate transition that takes agents from the walk state back to the idle state. Otherwise, once the agents take the first transition (from idle to walk) there is no transition that can cause them to leave the walk state. The two transitions can be driven by the same trigger or a different trigger.
2561 posts
Thanks cwhite, that worked!

I did have to add another trigger that way I could make the walk longer than the idle, otherwise both states share the same time duration. When you add a new trigger you also have to give it a unique Trigger Name as well.

Do you know how to make agents move faster along the Z-Axis? I have increased In Place Gait and the z-force in the PopSteer node but the effect is minimal. For instance I increase the force from 100 to 1000 but my agents don't move 10x faster.

Attachments:
Untitled-1.jpg (183.0 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
Staff
733 posts
In H15 the trigger name defaults to $OS, which should avoid the unique name issues.

It sounds like you might need to adjust the maxforce attribute? (this is usually initialized by the Crowd Source SOP)
2561 posts
I think I found the culprit. In the Crowd Solver itself I changed Drag from 1.0 to 0.0 and the speed really picked up.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
  • Quick Links