Configure Joints With FBX RIG?

3188   4   2
2539 posts
Hi All,

I have a FBX rig [forums.odforce.net] that I imported and I am using as an H15 agent. However, when I transition to rag doll the bones just fall apart from one another. This is because there is no Agent Configure Joints node in the agent setup.

When I add an Agent Configure Joints node the bones no longer fall apart but instead are ‘glued’ tight and the rag doll system has little effect. This is because I have not configured any of the bones so default values are taking over, presumably.

So I am stuck with a repetitive task of adding a new bone transform and selecting the correct bone, configuring limits etc.. Literally hundreds of clicks for one rig.

Is there a script or tool that can automate this process?

I have tried the Configure Joints tool in the shelf but it does not seem to work at all with an FBX. It may work with the built-in characters.

Is there any way to quickly configure the node so the default state of the ragdoll is less stiff?
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
Staff
730 posts
The shelf tool works fine for me with your file (in 15.0.273). I just set the display flag on /obj/rock_golem_setup/agentprep, clicked on the tool, selected the agent primitive, and hit enter. Alternatively, if you put the SOP down manually you can just hit enter in the viewport to enter its state.

If you want to, you can set up the same array point attributes ('agent_jointlimits', etc) yourself that the Agent Configure Joints SOP creates. For good results, though, you probably want to think about what appropriate rotation limits are for each joint (e.g. an elbow versus a shoulder), which is why the tool is designed primarily for interactive use.

Also, your collision layer (which can be visualized by changing the current layer with the Agent Edit SOP) has more shapes than you probably need, and they don't fit the skin geometry too well (the Agent ROP/SOP attempts to generate a layer with capsules based on the bones and capture weights). You probably want to consider setting up a simple collision layer with the Agent Collision Layer SOP - for example, you may want to just have a single shape enclosing the entire foot, instead of simulating each toe separately.
2539 posts
I still can't get it to work using H15.244.16

What node do you mean when you mention ‘agent primitive’? I feel like I have tried them all.

Why does the Display flag have to be on Agent Prep?
Can I leave it on OUT?

Alternatively, if you put the SOP down manually you can just hit enter in the viewport to enter its state.
Thanks, I have never seen this part of the interface before.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
Staff
730 posts
Enivob
I still can't get it to work using H15.244.16

What node do you mean when you mention ‘agent primitive’? I feel like I have tried them all.
I meant clicking on the agent primitive in the viewport.

Enivob
Why does the Display flag have to be on Agent Prep?
Can I leave it on OUT?

I just did that because the /obj/crowdsource/merge_rock_golem_setup node references the OUT null, and so you want the Agent Configure Joints SOP to be wired in before that node. You can always fix that up after running the shelf tool, though
2539 posts
Thanks for the explanation, I was just selecting nodes, not actually clicking on the BLUE tinted agent in the viewport.

So is there any script that will auto click on all those blue points that the Agent Configure Joints presents to the end-user?

I am finding this work flow hard to swallow. I am manually clicking on every blue dot in the viewport and then the tool figures out the angle automatically to create the cone of influence. Why am I even needed in this process? It seems like a loop could simply activate the click function for each bone.

Also when bones overlap, like should L/R and Neck only one blue dot is presented in the viewport interface. So I have to click on that dot, then the tool adds a new limit, then I have to scroll to the bottom of the list and change the source bone from shoulder to neck and once again the cone jumps to the correct orientation. So that takes care of the secret unclickable bone underneath. Then I have to do the same song and dance again for the other shoulder. etc…

I can fetch the Menu list using python so I have the list of bones that appears in the dropdown list of the Agent Configure Joints node. What is the module function call I would issue to simply add an auto-click for each bone?
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
  • Quick Links