523 posts
Hello,

How can I get these shaders in houdini 7:

blinn, lambert, pong.

I only see VEX…

Thx,

bernard
330 posts
hi there, you need to use VEX (or Vex OPerators) to create a basic shader.

so from VOPS create a new VEX surface shader, right-click -> edit network.

put down a Lighting Model VOP and connect the output to the default Output VOPs CF input.

then from the Output menu -> “Create new shop from vop network” to make it available in your scene.
523 posts
Thanks Mark2
201 posts
mark2
hi there, you need to use VEX (or Vex OPerators) to create a basic shader.

so from VOPS create a new VEX surface shader, right-click -> edit network.

put down a Lighting Model VOP and connect the output to the default Output VOPs CF input.

then from the Output menu -> “Create new shop from vop network” to make it available in your scene.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you want to change the lighting model, you have to do it from inside the vex shader. However, you could attach a parameter VOP before the lighting model VOP (hook parm output of parameter VOP into lmodel input of lighting model VOP). This way you can setup a pulldown menu of lighting models from within the Parms tab of the shop.

Example:
opparm parameter1 parmtype ( string ) parmname ( lightModel ) parmlabel ( lightModel ) providemenu ( on ) menuchoices ( ‘phong PHONG blinn BLINN lambert LAMBERT’ ) stdswitcher ( 3 3 3 3 3 ) opfilter ( !!SHOP/LIGHT!! )

Hope this helps. I just discovered this for myself

Cheers,
Rob
Cheers,
Rob
Digital Supervisor | Stargate Studios Toronto
523 posts
Thanks rdms,

I used the Lighting Model VOP as said, but I don't know which is the output.
Where do I find the output of this Lighting Model VOP?

Many thanks,

bernard
201 posts
Bernard
Thanks rdms,
I used the Lighting Model VOP as said, but I don't know which is the output.
Where do I find the output of this Lighting Model VOP?

The output is on the left side of the VOP (looks like a tiny box). In this case, it is labelled as 'clr'. If you hold your mouse over it for a bit it will popup info saying “Color (color)” meaning its labelled as Color and a parameter type color. Left-click on it and you'll be able to connect into input of next VOP. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rob
Cheers,
Rob
2199 posts
If you middle click on the input you want to add a parameter for you can select create parameter and it will set it all up automatically for you. Saves a lot of typing. 8)
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
523 posts
Hello,

Yes, thanks Simon for the tip.

I attached a parameter VOP before the Lighting Model VOP. I used the parameters of the example given by rdms, but where do I type stdswitcher (3 3 3 3 3) and opfilter (!!SHOP/LIGHT!!)?

I don't see them in the parameter VOP…

Thanks,

bernard
201 posts
Bernard
Hello,

Yes, thanks Simon for the tip.

I attached a parameter VOP before the Lighting Model VOP. I used the parameters of the example given by rdms, but where do I type stdswitcher (3 3 3 3 3) and opfilter (!!SHOP/LIGHT!!)?

I don't see them in the parameter VOP…

Those are automatically created when you do the connection. BTW. thanks Simon for that MMB trick … much easier.
Cheers,
Rob
523 posts
Hello,

how do you change the color of these materials?
How can I get for example a blue colored Phong shader?

thx
330 posts
now you either set the diffuse colour in the lighting model, or lay down perhaps a color mix VOP and pipe that into the lighting model's diffuse channel. check out the video tutorials on VOPS when vizlab returns. oh and great idea rdms
Edited by - July 25, 2005 20:45:19
412 posts
to add to simon's shortcut, you can also right click on the op tile icon and select `create input parameters`.. this will create parameters for all the inputs available for that vop.. (most times you won't need this, but on occasion it useful)..
Dave Quirus
  • Quick Links