What node setup is used to access fbx morph targets?

3716   4   1
3 posts
Hello I am completely new to Houdini, and fairly inexperienced to 3d.

I would like to know what node or node setup to use to access the various mesh deformations that I originally made in Blender 3d.

In Blender they are called “Shape Keys”.

I know that one can use the “BlendShapes” node in Houdini to create morph targets but I don't yet know how to extract morph targets from an fbx file. I suppose maybe Houdini doesn't support morph targets through fbx files.

Thanks for any answer!
2551 posts
Keep in mind that the FBX format will not transfer everything no matter what package supports it. If you dig down into the FBX subnet and then into the GEO you will find the Deform node which uses the Capture information to drive the deformation.

Make sure you select all your bones in Blender and use the BakeAction operator available from the SPACE BAR in the 3D viewport of Blender.

For good rig transfer you want a keyframe on every frame. This will correctly drive the deforms in Houdini but it does not get you a portable working rig in Houdini. It gets you an animated statue that deforms very similar to how it deformed in Blender.

I cover some of these topics in a short video if you would like to take a look.
https://vimeo.com/135719987 [vimeo.com]
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
1192 posts
You have a checkbox “Import Blend Deformers ans Blend SOPs” in the FBX import dialog.
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
3 posts
@ Enivob

Thanks Enivob, I will check that out as soon as I can get access to the computer I'm using that has Houdini installed.
—————————————————————————————————-

digitallysane
You have a checkbox “Import Blend Deformers ans Blend SOPs” in the FBX import dialog.

Thanks digitallysane, again, I will make sure to check that box as soon as I have access to Houdini.
3 posts
@ Enivob

@ digitallysane

I did what you both said, and it worked. I think I initially had the problem because I was extremely tired at the time and wasn't thinking straight. The solution was obvious.

THANKS guys!
  • Quick Links