Can't resume simulation, simulation crashes.

2968   8   0
47 posts
I have this pretty small sim, after about two and a half hours it reaches frame 70. I stop the simulation to let it simulate overnight. I cache the simulation with a ROP node. After eight hours of simulating, the sim is still stuck on frame 70, and after a while I found out it crashed.

Is there any way to continue this simulation without having to go over the previous sims? And why can't I complete this sim?

Thanks in advance.
Windows 7| 24 GB RAM DDR3| AMD Athlon X4 760K Quad Core Processor 3,8 Ghz | Nvidia GTX 970 4GB
2537 posts
Sounds like the SIM is too heavy for your machine, can you post your machine specs in your signature?
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
47 posts
How do I do that?

I have 24 GB RAM DDR3

I have an amd athlon quad core processor about 3.4 Ghz

and GTX 970 videocard.

If the sim is too heavy, should I resim the original fluid with a lower particle separation? Or is there any way to still sim the foam?
Windows 7| 24 GB RAM DDR3| AMD Athlon X4 760K Quad Core Processor 3,8 Ghz | Nvidia GTX 970 4GB
2537 posts
For fluid workflow tips check out the youtube series on how to flood a hallway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYQpZCxZrcA [youtube.com]

The series shows how to handle sim and the separate layers of foam whitewater etc…

By approaching the problem in steps you should be able to succeed with your posted hardware.

If you have already enabled OpenCL in the fluid solver try turning with that option off. I have experienced that option crashing on my machine sometimes but it has also worked just fine too. Which makes me think heat could be an issues.

Try monitoring your system heat using HWMonitor [cpuid.com]. It could be that your system is getting to hot and causing the crash…?
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
47 posts
I'll try to simulate Foam, Bubbles and Spray separately, maybe that'll do it. Otherwise I'll have to downres the base sim.
2537 posts
That is essentially what the video tutorial suggests. By simming each layer separately you can dedicate the full memory/cpu of your computer to only that task.

Then you build a separate HIP file that just reads that information in. So your final scene is basically a sim/bgeo playback scene.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
47 posts
So it seems like simulating bubbles is the biggest issue. The rest simulates without a hitch. Is there any way to simulate the bubbles anyway, or are bubbles not that important?
2537 posts
I would say bubbles are probably the least important but it does depend upon your shot. You could cut the lifespan of bubble only in half?

You can also reduce the constant birth rate, in the whitewater emitter, only for the bubbles pass.

In the video tutorial the author suggests exporting three passes, one for Foam, one for Spray and one for Bubbles. You can ‘solo’ each portion of the whitewater within the whitewater solver. The solver has a check mark for each portion of the effect. What I did was setup a three File nodes, each with a file name that matches one of the three features, i.e. foam_$SF4.sim, spray_$SF4.sim etc..

Then I would turn off the other two options and simulate out just the foam, for instance. Do the same for the other two options as well, turn off foam and bubbles and output spray, turn off foam and spray and output bubbles.

Using this technique you will end up with four layers. The original water surface, foam,spray and bubbles. This is convenient for materials, motion blur and play back.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
47 posts
Thanks, the foam and whitewater is already exported, and I upped my res too now I can afford it!

I'll try to do that thing with the bubbles, then it'll finally be complete.

Thanks again! I don't know where I'd be without your help
  • Quick Links