From a bunch of polygon islands return manifold mesh?

3358   2   0
339 posts
I'm wondering if there's something in houdini they make boolean union per island, meaning returns a manifold mesh skin from the interpenetrating geometry. A sequence boolean maybe could do it.

The extra to this problem is self penentrating geometry. Something that boolean union, wouldn't catch.

I was looking for something that preserves the meshes point positions, not much blob remesh.

Thanks
2539 posts
You can use the re-meshing technique then abuse the poly reducer to bring poly count back into a reasonable range.

This file demonstrate going from 219,000 polygons down to 218 polygons. I am not sure what points you are really trying to preserve…

Attachments:
Untitled-1.jpg (155.2 KB)
ap_cube_lump.hipnc (64.0 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
339 posts
Thanks Envibob! It does solve self intersection also being from a volume!

I am not sure what points you are really trying to preserve…

What I meant by perserving the points is illustrated by me applying the tree to the object I shared previously, as you can see the initial points don't match with the resulting ones.

I would say this doesn't solve it the way I was proposing, but it's neat to have available.
3DCoat does it already in a way with it's voxelization. I was looking for a more common modeling utility, maybe looking forward to perseve maps, etc.
Many thanks.

Cheers
  • Quick Links