How to read floating point frame file cache?

2919   1   0
4 posts
Hello, I've been working on a personal project for which I have saved out my simulation as a .bgeo.sc file cache but with floating frames (half frames have been saved too). While writing the cache, I used the $FF expression with an increment value of 0.5 and saved 1-240 frames. So on the disk frame 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 and so on were written. However, now I'm using the “File” SOP to fetch the fractional frames using the expression $FF but only the integer frames get loaded. I'm attaching the write and read nodes as well as the windows explorer view of the filename of my cache. Kindly help me out here.
Thanks!

Attachments:
Windows_explorer_filename_view.PNG (111.0 KB)
Read_file_settings.PNG (28.8 KB)
Saved_File_cache_settings.PNG (35.0 KB)

2539 posts
If your File sop is located in a new scene then pull up that scene's Global Animation Options (icon lower right corner of screen) and make sure Integer Frame Values is turned off.

You may want to re-sim with integer frame values. Or rename all your files.

I typically use integer fame values always and when writing out files control the zero padding with a companion index for $F. Like my_file_$F4.bgeo.sc. The 4 represents the number of digit precisions you need to cover the frame range. A range from 0-999 you can get away with $F3.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
  • Quick Links