getting serious: viewport display / wireframe / points

11229   10   2
174 posts
Hello there,

Sorry been rude but i have a main grip with houdini for now, the geometry display isn't readable at all.
How do you guy work with multiple objects, selecting points / polys / etc ???
Do you made some sort of customisation of the viewport ?

Right now working with polys and point are painfull.
- for a start, the display of mesh points are too distractives due to the little blue sprite dot with a black border… Can we change that ???
- the selection highlight does a layer of highlighted dots ON TOP of the not highlighted one, the ideo is cool but, the z depth doesn't work well and highlighted point are mixed with normal points
-> a start why having a sprite representing a point ?

I mean i could go for two pages of graphical gliches introduced by having some too high end opengl viewport features who impact directly the way we interract with meshes, selecting, manipulating, selecting etc have to be possible and flowless actually that's painfull…

Is there a switch somewhere ala XSI basic mesh display mode, or somewhere a sort of customised prefs who makes all of that usable ?

With all of that even with these problems houdini seems a great replacement for XSI but having simple things right could change everything…
4189 posts
A few ways:

The main one is to turn off ‘Follow section mask’ in Display Options/Guides. This will only show selected points, not blue non-selected points.

You can change point marker size under Display Options/Guides

Then under Display Options/Markers you can set it to show under cursor etc. the eye icon.
174 posts
Thanks, that's clearer but this way we don't see any other points… hard choice.

Can i hack somewhere to change the size of the unselected dot and his color ?

Can we change the z depth layer of the sprite dots to prevent dots being traversed by the wireframe at the middle ? or more simplier been masked by other geo ?

by the way, here a screenshot, how can i remove theses strange lightblue dots (if i have follow selection here i would have 3 sprites overlapped ! )

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 12.57.30.png (81.9 KB)

333 posts
NNois
how can i remove theses strange lightblue dots (if i have follow selection here i would have 3 sprites overlapped ! )

these blue light dots mark the selected points, polygons or edges that are on your current selected node in the network editor. if you dont select anything in the network editor they will not be shown.

i can understand this is confusing and you must not be alone. Im also not a big fan of those tbh and it took me some while to understand what it was trying to visualize. At least they seem to work now with visualizing your group node once its selected. Otherwise they seem pretty useless
1755 posts
NNois, I share your grievances and I've expressed them too in the past.

I'm still hoping if a little naive perhaps, that these issues will be fixed in the next version.

The current edit, as it was discussed in a lengthy thread, is in a bad shape right now for reasons I won't discuss here, again.

The new extrude, while it works as far as the results it produces goes, it's not very easy to work with when you roll your sleeves and start actually modeling - see the thread with Houdini's limited options for transformation spaces and handle alignments.

And of course, the current viewport representation of points/edges with their blue thingies (wth are they for?) and the gizmos with the poor visual feedback (the damn glow).
And the lack of a point override that works only in point mode to see all the points of the geo when transforming just some of them.
And as you already said, the list could go on.
There are lots of things for which modelers and generalists coming from other packages would find Houdini very annoying to work with and it's not because of its procedural nature.
Edited by anon_user_89151269 - May 29, 2016 06:57:17
Staff
5158 posts
NNois

No need to hack, there's a display option for the Point Marker size (Display Options, Guides, Point marker size).
4189 posts
twod
NNois

No need to hack, there's a display option for the Point Marker size (Display Options, Guides, Point marker size).

Still need to hack to change the unselected point size - that control scales all point sizes.
333 posts

i submitted and rfe to turn these off. hope it gets thru.

cheers.
Edited by Doudini - May 30, 2016 17:12:48
174 posts
Hi, am I alone founding a problem about displaying points as sprites in the same z space that the actual geometry ?

This makes selected points invisible if masked by unelected points !! Same goes for edges and polys.
That's a serious problem IMO !
4189 posts
It would be best to illustrate those issues clearly with examples. Thanks!
333 posts
NNois
Hi, am I alone founding a problem about displaying points as sprites in the same z space that the actual geometry ?

This makes selected points invisible if masked by unelected points !! Same goes for edges and polys.
That's a serious problem IMO !

Maybe that also fixes this case. Otherwise submit those bugs, rfe:

Houdini 15.0.490: Made wireframe selection display of polygons much more prominent. The yellow wireframe selection outline is no longer covered up by non-selected shared edges on GL4 hardware.
  • Quick Links