Particle sprites shimmer

3769   2   1
36 posts
My VEX particle sprites seem to shimmer when rendered. The sprites are small ‘sparks’ that have a .pic alpha channel and change color over time through Cd. They also have a v attribute for velocity blur.
When the particles settle on the collision object they should be still, but the rendered .pic sequence shows the to shimmer not unlike the affect you would expect from a VHS recording.

Do I need to adjust the render settings or is this a VEX issue?
Staff
2593 posts
mookid20
My VEX particle sprites seem to shimmer when rendered. The sprites are small ‘sparks’ that have a .pic alpha channel and change color over time through Cd. They also have a v attribute for velocity blur.
When the particles settle on the collision object they should be still, but the rendered .pic sequence shows the to shimmer not unlike the affect you would expect from a VHS recording.

Do I need to adjust the render settings or is this a VEX issue?

You might try .rat files for textures (as opposed to .pic).
252 posts
The reason why .rat file format is suggested here is that it supports mipmaps like are used in a lot of game applications.

http://www.odforce.net/wiki/index.php/Rat [odforce.net]

The shimmering you are seeing is probably from the pixel either seeing the texture 100% or not at all when it is small. Filtering it will improve that immensely.

.rat files also use less memory and render faster with higher quality when using Mantra. I had noticeable render artifacts in a project until I went to .rat format and could lower my render settings and render much faster.

-Craig
  • Quick Links