impact solver connection mistake

1497   2   1
65 posts
I'm trying to use the impact solver and it seems I've plugged something in wrong because my impact points are crazy.

Anyone see the dumbness I did?

Attachments:
impact.hip (224.3 KB)

402 posts
Hello,

You haven't done anything dumb with this (at least if you have then I have)!

This is a weird thing, I remember tearing my hair out some time ago when I first came across this. The problem is with the way the houdini displays the impact points while you're in the DOP network, which appears to be that it displays them in the local space of the dynamic object itself, i.e. when the fragment tumbles and spins, it's impact points also tumble and spin, even though the impact data refers to a static point.

Unfortunately the only helpful thing I can say is to ignore it! Travel back into SOP land, and create a DOP import node and follow the steps in the docs [sidefx.com]. Having set the object mask to whatever you need and the ‘Import Style’ to ‘Fetch Geometry from DOP network’, set the data path the ‘ImpactAnalysis’ and it should display nice static points in the correct place.

I really hope this helps, like I said, it drove me bananas!
Edited by friedasparagus - June 27, 2016 06:33:22

Attachments:
impact.hipnc (223.4 KB)

Henry Dean
65 posts
Thanks for the response.

I actually found that using packed prims put the impact points in the right place
  • Quick Links