Licensing question - Indie for freelancers restrictions.

2569   3   1
16 posts
Just a quick one, I noticed that Indie includes Pyro. Does this mean that I, as a freelancer, can develop a pyro solution and then export a bgeo that my client can then render on their farm ?
How does Indie sit for freelance artists that might need to feed in to the workflow of a larger studio? Is this even allowed? My companies turnover is under the threshold, but my clients would definitely not….
Apologies if this has been covered already.
2538 posts
You are allowed to provide exported geometry as deliverables, I believe. But the person you deliver to would need to have a license to render a .bgeo file, right? If you give them .obj files then they could render with their version of C4D, Max, Maya etc… With .bgeo being linked specifically to Houdini they would need a Houdini license to render .bgeo. Or a Houdini Engine license for their host app.

If you mean the threshold of $100,000.00 per year I don't think that matters when the entity is a company. They may still need a full license. The spirit of the Indie license is to empower individual freelancers. I believe the license states you can't have mixed licenses on a company network. So you can't take take your Indie license to work, which is different than Marvelous Designer which does allow that.

The safest bet would be for you to provide rendered footage instead.

And SideFX, please, if any of this is incorrect feel free to chime in. I am not a SideFX employee or expert but this is my understanding from just reading the agreement.

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
605 posts
Yes, that's totally fine - and the intended target for Indie.

You can create .bgeo files with Apprentice - FYI.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
16 posts
Thanks for your replies. That's good to hear!
Cheers
p.
  • Quick Links