Q: using/mixing group colors to control e.g. displacement etc.?

1867   3   1
147 posts
Hi,

I feel like this is a bit of a silly question, but I'm looking at this simple task, and despite all the info found I got stuck.
It's a simple setup just to get the hang of some workflow stuff in H.

I have a grid, with random colors on the primitives, that drive a poly extrusion via a extra attribute. This works just fine, and I get ‘spikes’ with random extrusion heights.

What I want is to add a bounding sphere or some geo shape, that will bring down the color inside the bounding sphere/geo back to black, so the extrusion is canceled out inside there.

I've tried adding and mixing group colors/attributes on the grid colors and bounding sphere color in several ways, but cannot get it to work.

Is this kind of mixing/subtracting colors possible with just groups alone? Or do I have to use VEX shading to get to this result?

thanks!

rob
Apprentice Attribute / Houdini 17.0.381 / GTX 970 - driver 411.63
147 posts
Hi,

By using the ‘attribute transform“ node, I found a way where I can use colors from another object.
This will layer the color on top of the existing one, by setting the ’Points” Cd and the “Match P attribute”. After that it's playing with the Conditions ‘Distance Threshold’ and "Blend Width' to get want I want.

It works, but if there's another way I'm all ears.

thanks!

rob
1265 posts
I'm not sure but maybe have a look at the Rohan Delvi tutorials here.
Recreating Mograph [vimeo.com]

Look for the Recreating Mograph tutorials.
It might help.

Edited by Werner Ziemerink - Sept. 8, 2016 01:34:20
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
147 posts
Hi Werner,

Thanks for that.

I haven't watched those videos yet, but Rohan's videos are great stuff.

rob
  • Quick Links