Crowd: using non looping animation clips

3703   5   1
2 posts
Hi there,

I am new to Houdini, so forgive me if I have overlooked something obvious.
I am testing Houdini as a possible crowd solution.

I have a large library of good motion capture clips some over 1000 frames long.

My first attempts at running a sim have ugly pops where the clip ends and cycles to the beginning.
I cannot see where to alter the number of blend frames though?
It is not realistic for me to make all my motion library clips loop.

Am I missing something? Similarly your foot down parameter pre-caching technique talks about specific frames which precludes entering a long clip mid-way through. Will this be altered to regions of cycles rather than region of clip?

best regards, Tom.
Staff
730 posts
Have you tried the Agent Clip Properties SOP? That allows you to set up some information that the crowd solver can use when playing back clips, such as whether to do some blending while looping around
2539 posts
Also you can use CHOPs to setup a range within the mocap and blend between start and end frame to soften the transition on the loop around.
There is a nice explanation on Here on Vimeo [vimeo.com] about 8:00 minutes into the video.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
2 posts
Thanks very much.

The agentClipProperties SOP.

I see I have to create and connect connect that to the agent node in my crowdSource network, then refer to it in the crowdObject node in the crowd_sim.

I was struggling to create the agentClipPoroperties or find those parameters in the sim network itself prior to your help!
I'll have a play with that and see how I get on.

Thanks also for the vimeo reference that's very useful, although I will probably use Motion Builder if I had to edit all my clips.

Tom.
Edited by tomcarrick - Sept. 23, 2016 03:41:27
2 posts
Enivob
Also you can use CHOPs to setup a range within the mocap and blend between start and end frame to soften the transition on the loop around.
There is a nice explanation on Here on Vimeo [vimeo.com] about 8:00 minutes into the video.

This Vimeo link is not working
16 posts
Enivob

Ditto. Anyone knows the link? Trying to loop a mocap on itself procedurally.
  • Quick Links