Render OBJ nodes inside other contexts

1949   4   0
897 posts

In this network, from the mantra1 node I can render the “box” object but not the “sphere”.

It looks to me like objects can't be rendered when they're not directly in the OBJ context? I'm trying to wrapp a bake procedure in a Engine tool, how am I to do this if I can't point at OBJ networks?
Edited by kahuna031 - Oct. 3, 2016 08:45:36
B.Henriksson, DICE
2538 posts
You just need to specify the correct path to the Candidate Objects on the Mantra node. By default it is a * which means top level.
Try setting it to subnet/* to render only what is in the subnet.
Edited by Enivob - Oct. 3, 2016 11:04:24
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
897 posts
This doesn't work. I even use the op picker gui to make sure I get the correct path (which in this case is “subnet/ropnet1/objnet1/sphere”).

Interesting detail, if I assign the box and render in the IPR I get rerenders when editing the box geo. When doing the same with the sphere I don't. So it's not just that I get a blank render, the geometry isn't included in the render at all.
B.Henriksson, DICE
2538 posts
It works for me. Just pick the subnet, not the sphere. Type subnet/*

Try putting a light in your subnet as well (that is what I did in my test, oh yeah I also added a camera to the subnet and looked through the camera). Maybe it is working but you are just not seeing anything?
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
897 posts
Now we're getting somewhere! Adding a camera to the objnet and using “subnet/ropnet1/objnet1/*” as candidates and “/obj/subnet/ropnet1/objnet1/cam1” for camera works.

Either setting candidate specifically to “subnet/ropnet1/objnet1/sphere” or camera to “/obj/cam1” will break the setup again. So the camera needs to be seen by the renderer somehow. I'll go submit this as a bug.

Thanks a lot for the help Enivob.
B.Henriksson, DICE
  • Quick Links