Freeze Instancer

2865   3   1
33 posts
Is there any chance to freeze or disconnect asset with instances? cuz really hard to keep a lot of procedural assets in one scene for memory. I want to keep all my scatter and instances into scene without assets, is it possible? for simple objects with asset i just freeze it and unparent, and it works, but for instancer it doesnt
Edited by Konstantin Kovalenko - Oct. 13, 2016 09:06:20
818 posts
I looked into this for a bit. It looks like disconnecting doesn't preserve the instances because Maya's instancer node doesn't cache the input connection's data. So a workaround might be output particles, instead of instances:
1. In the asset, output the instances as simple points, with the necessary instance attributes
2. Load the particles in Maya, and cache the particles with a Maya cache
3. Load the cache into a separate particle
4. Manually setup a Maya instancer to use the cached particles
This would completely separate the Houdini asset from the Maya instancer.
Andrew / アンドリュー
33 posts
thanx, ill try this, but is there any way to use all attributes as quick as i do it with houdini asset? i know only one way, i have to connect each attribute in Per Particle Attributes parameters
818 posts
When you're outputting particles, all the per-point attributes should be available on the nParticle node. You shouldn't have to connect/create any attributes yourself. After caching, when you import the cache, I believe Maya will setup the per-particle attributes too. The only manual work might be hooking up the per-particle attributes from the nParticle to the particle instancer. But that shouldn't be too bad.
Andrew / アンドリュー
  • Quick Links