Tab menu not allowing quick node creation, prompts interactivity in viewport instead

2982   5   0
1 posts
Hi, been playing with Houdini for a few weeks now and I'm loving it so far over my previous software Maya with which I've spent a few years.

Today, I started having a really annoying issue that's not really searchable so I had to ask here:

When I
TAB>"transform">Enter
in an
/obj/geo/
node view, instead of the transform node simply appearing, it prompts me to select geometry in the viewport.

I've probably hit a hotkey or something to activate this form of placement but I'm not sure what it is or how to disable it, thanks!
Staff
5161 posts
If you press TAB while in the viewport (mouse pointer over the viewport), you get the Transform tool. If you press TAB when in the network editor, you get the raw Transform SOP. I suspect that's the difference.
16 posts
We're getting a similar issue at work here, where Houdini sometimes gets stuck in “interactive placement” mode even if the cursor is on the network editor. Then every node we drop down after that asks for viewport interaction. Only solution we can find is to relaunch Houdini. The frustrating part is I can't seem to replicate the problem, it appears spontaneously.

Is there a Python command which sets this interactive mode? It would be a simple workaround for now.
2042 posts
Maybe create a new scene tab and delete the other one, instead of re-launching Houdini
373 posts
twod
If you press TAB while in the viewport (mouse pointer over the viewport), you get the Transform tool. If you press TAB when in the network editor, you get the raw Transform SOP. I suspect that's the difference.

I thought it was pretty obvious that he is pressing tab in the network editor and it's asking him for input in the viewport (not the expected behavior). I think the issue may come from the network view being in a floating pane. I ran into this a while ago, and it took me a while to figure out the right configuration for having two windows. I've stuck with the same desktop now for a few years – I think I've kept the network editor in the main window, and instead made sure I made a floating window for the viewport instead.
Ian Farnsworth
28 posts
Floating panel over the viewport…I suspect the engine doesnt account for window strata and just assumes the mouse is over the viewport.
  • Quick Links