Clusters and Point Constraints

5697   9   2
158 posts
How can I create a CV cluster and points constrain it to a locator for example?
7734 posts
Can't you just use bones?
158 posts
Nope, I want to use a Spline IK.
I used some transform operators as ‘clusters’ and linked them with expressions to the locators. Is this really a way to “simulate” clusters? Are there other options?
7734 posts
Sorry, I don't understand. “Spline IK” as I understand the Maya terminology is just a “Follow Curve” bone chain in Houdini, isn't it?

If you want a more flexible means of capturing, there's always use of CaptureRegion SOPs.

Perhaps you can post an example hip file with some explanation of what you actually want done.
158 posts
I get jumbled up between the Houdini terminology and the Maya terminology. Yep, the Follow Curve in Houdini is the same as the Spline IK in Maya. I want to set up a Follow Curve IK and want to drive the bone chain over the curve CVs. At the moment I know only one way to set this up. I plug every CV in a transform operator and set the handles to persistent or link the transformation channels to locator objects. Because I want to use the CVs (Clusters) in a hirarchy I need them as separete objects. In other words I need to fetch the Curve CVs as objects into the object level.
2199 posts
There's always my Parents SOP on exchange…..
Of course if you change versions you'd need to be able to recompile it.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
7734 posts
Sascha, what about creating a Path object (with PathCV's) which you then do Bones From Curve using Follow Curve kinematics?
158 posts
Thanks Edward! I used the path operator, it does exactly what I need. Although I don't undersand what's going on in the path object and the pathCV objects the operator creats and how it is constructed. What about the pathCV operator? How can I use it? Is it possible to “convert” a curve afterwards into a path with pathCVs?
7734 posts
The Path geometry is constructed procedurally from the point positions of the PathCV objects. To see this, simply dive down into the Path object. To post-convert, I think the easiest way is to use snapping and snap the PathCV's to your old curve.
158 posts
Simon
There's always my Parents SOP on exchange…..
Of course if you change versions you'd need to be able to recompile it.

Can someone explain me Simon's SOP operator? How can I parent CVs or Vertices to an object with it?
  • Quick Links