Houdini 16

130694   223   14
806 posts
> The rigging and character tools have me smiling from ear to ear

… and that around the BACK of the head!
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
2036 posts
I'm finding if you do a manual re-load you can get back to the stream quickly.
761 posts
I had to stop watching, the stream was breaking up consistently. I'll wait for the recorded, real bummer
Edited by _Christopher_ - Feb. 6, 2017 16:17:19
【T】【C】【S】
41 posts
^
Same here watching from Western Canada. Voice audio was too low as well. Hope it gets cleaned up in the re-release version.

Also, atm not sure how I feel about the new Core/FX version. Seems like Indie was a way better option considering it was FX but @ yearly subscription. Core will have less features now? I was going to subscribe to Indie but will hold off since I'm worried it will get overwritten by 16 Core when released? Or am I misunderstanding the new business model?
H Indie | LightWave | ZBrush | Clarisse iFX | HDR Light Studio Pro | RenderMan
918 posts
Great presentation, lots of awesome stuff. Congratulations.
806 posts
@Pixel8d - see above, the “buy” website is updated with the new prices and Indie is still there. Has been discussed above.
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
36 posts
It's over now. Did they say when it will be available for download?
Edited by Strob - Feb. 6, 2017 16:55:26

I did a lot of FX work for this short: I, Pet Goat II [vimeo.com]
Another clip I created all 3D for: Iron Baby [youtube.com]
And this one too: Little Antman [youtube.com]
See Iron Baby and other of my models on Turbosquid! [turbosquid.com]
Some RnD involving PhoenixFD [strob.net]
806 posts
Strob
It's over now. Did they say when it will be available for download?

This site says it all: https://www.sidefx.com/community/houdini-core-promotion/ [sidefx.com]

“Houdini 16 will be released on February 21, 2017 ”

Marc
---
Good bye.
471 posts
21 February? it's too late and I can't wait anymore!!!!
Edited by Nima - Feb. 6, 2017 17:04:50
Staff
5156 posts
Pixel8d
Also, atm not sure how I feel about the new Core/FX version.

Previously there were two commercial Houdini products, Houdini and Houdini FX. “Houdini Core” is the new name of the “Houdini” product. It was slightly confusing as “Houdini” was often used to refer to the package as a whole, and not the non-FX version of Houdini.

Now you can refer to the Houdini products collectively as “Houdini”, the full version as “Houdini FX” and the more limited version as “Houdini Core”. This way there's no confusion between Houdini as the family and Houdini as the product.

Houdini Indie isn't going anywhere.

Edited by malexander - Feb. 6, 2017 22:39:46
181 posts
Congratulations on the launch! Rather astounding that SESI has managed to accomplish such an ambitious set of features and improvements so quickly.
41 posts
malbrecht
@Pixel8d - see above, the “buy” website is updated with the new prices and Indie is still there. Has been discussed above.

Yup thanks, saw those posts after I posted mine. Doh! It's good Indie is still in the mix. Time to hit the ‘buy’ button!
4 posts
The new features look awesome!

I have a quick question: I recently (last month) purchased an Indie license for Houdini 15.5.
With version 16 now being released, is there a way for me to upgrade my Indie license to version 16 or would I have to re-purchase a full new license?

Thank you!
41 posts
surfacedstudio

I have a quick question: I recently (last month) purchased an Indie license for Houdini 15.5.
With version 16 now being released, is there a way for me to upgrade my Indie license to version 16 or would I have to re-purchase a full new license?

Thank you!

Because Indie is subscription-based annually doesn't that mean any upgrade/point release is automatic as long yearly purchase is maintained?
4 posts
Thanks for the quick reply @Pixel8d. I really hope it is, I guess I may have to wait and see if I can just install version 16 on my license, I'm pretty excited for the new features
4 posts
surfacedstudio

Thank you!

It better! lol I bought into indie after seeing what the new 16 was going to have with Unreal integration updates, etc. Everything looked amazing today.
4 posts
I noticed at the end it said 3D mous support. Does anyone have a list of compatible 3D mouse products? I was ready to pull the trigger on a 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse but want to make sure it will work with 16 properly.
69 posts
All I can say is “you won't be disappointed!” The rigging tools are really really good. The boolean tools are amazing, and the interface improvements will make you not want to go back to H15. It's already becoming difficult for me to step back to H15, as great as it is. Once the tools are all in place, and rock solid, it will be one of the biggest releases of this magnificent software I've ever seen. If anyone is in Chicago, stop by the CHUG (Chicago Area User Group) next Wednesday the 15th at Tribeca Flashpoint College, 28 North Clark Street, suite 500 (across from the Picasso) for some Houdini 16 amaze. “See you next Wednesday”, as they say in the Blues Brothers. I'll try to show off some of the features, at least what I've been able to do with them, and we can all try out some fun.
Edited by ctedin - Feb. 7, 2017 17:39:44
761 posts
I'm not reading any more posts on H16 until I watch the live broadcast after a connection problems when it was live Hopefully I'll be able to make enough to buy FX down the road; it's my goal.
【T】【C】【S】
136 posts
AMAZING set of features, puts Maxon and Autodesk to shame. If SESI would have gave us only the network editor upgrades, and that would have being a SOLID release. With all the others added(specially the rigging/character tools) i am not even sure how to call it. Now THIS is one HUGE release! Unfortunately i could not watch the full event, the stream was interrupting constantly. I will wait for the record, hope it will come soon enough. Can't wait to test it myself!
  • Quick Links