RFE: Compiler Control From VOPs

7817   7   1
941 posts
Hi SESI,

I can't seem to find any way to control compiler behaviour from within VOP networks. Specifically, I can't find a way to pass command-line flags to ‘vcc’ or ‘shader’ from VEX and RSL vop networks respectively. (I've looked through ‘hconfig -a’ but didn't find anything there).

It would be *very* useful if we could do this.

Example: The only way I can think of right now to make include files visible (from VOP networks) for both rsl and vex, is to mimic the directory structure in $HH, so that I'm forced to have:

$HOUDINI_PATH/vex/include (for vex)
$HOUDINI_PATH/ri_shaders (for rsl)

…and this hack only works because, thankfully, you've had to get at voptype.h and voplib.h yourselves.

A generic way to build a compiler-options line (which gets expanded) for the VOP shading contexts would be great. Actually, just a couple of new globals would be fine too.

Thanks.
Mario Marengo
Senior Developer at Folks VFX [folksvfx.com] in Toronto, Canada.
4262 posts
I think it would be handy, for VOPnets to have a parameter on them that allows you to control the compiler options for vcc (and for whatever rsl compiler)

There should be a toggle to enable the override of whatever the default options are, and a string parameter where you can fill in your own options.

(The default for the string option will be whatever the default compiler options are)
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
581 posts
I am agree with both of you.
It would be very handy to have control over the compilers for vex and rsl.
Even more, the perfect would be to have a global setting in Main Settigns and a local setting for every network so much in the output VOP as in the surface shader VOP.
Please SESI an RFE for this.
Thanks
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
398 posts
Good idea
f = conserve . diffuse . advect . add

fx td @ the mill
1002 posts
Ok, I've added an RFE (20437). We should have this functionality.

Andrew
941 posts
andrewc
Ok, I've added an RFE (20437). We should have this functionality.

Thanks Andrew!
Mario Marengo
Senior Developer at Folks VFX [folksvfx.com] in Toronto, Canada.
581 posts
Thansk andrew.
Only one other thing that will close the houdini complete integration with all the renderman render family.
Could be possible to add an option to choose the application to use for the IPR, at the moment there are two application in the renderman world for quick render previews, irma from pixar and bake air from sitex (AIR), it could be great to have support for both or an open infrastructure that allows to integrate any similar software easily in the software.
Thanks
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
35 posts
hi all,
just to know if this funtionality “control over the compilers for vex and rsl” is released or not?
thks
  • Quick Links