Terminal will not start Indie?

3308   7   1
208 posts
When I crank up the shell terminal and “houdini -indie”, the terminal munches for a couple seconds and then resets to >. No Indie, no exit code, etc. This happens when I'm trying to start from scratch or to open a second Indie while another one renders.

Anyone else getting this?
4189 posts
working fine here with hindie, houdini -indie, though in H16 using ‘houdini’ won't automatically pick up an Indie license and will launch a non-commercial version instead.
2 posts
On Arch Linux I have 15.5 and earlier running fine, but I can't get anything from 16 to launch, no hkey, no houdini, nothing. I submitted a ticket as I suspect there may be some new dependency I dont have
208 posts
OK, thanks Artye. I deleted Apprentice thinking H might keep looking for a licenesed version to run but that didn't work. I'll check my file paths and see if something is tangled up.
208 posts
I double-checked my paths, etc and can't find anything different from 15.5 except some environment variable now have no effect so maybe that's it.

sean mills
On Arch Linux I have 15.5 and earlier running fine, but I can't get anything from 16 to launch, no hkey, no houdini, nothing. I submitted a ticket as I suspect there may be some new dependency I dont have
4 posts
I have the same problem. The Houdini 16 Qt4 version works, but I'm certain that Qt 5 works on my machine in general.

- Arch Linux
- Indie 15.5 works
- The installation works without errors
- Houdini 16 doesn't start, and there is no error message and no splashscreen
- The problem occurs with both KDE 5 and Xfce
- There is an entry in the troubleshooting FAQ [sidefx.com] that has the same symptoms, but the process mentioned there is not running.

It's also not possible to start hkey to install the Houdini 16 license.

I ran hkey-bin with GDB and it seems like this might be a deadlock, as it seems to be stuck waiting for a lock. (There is a backtrace in the attachment.) (The Qt4 hkey also only starts two threads instead of three, when run through GDB.)

Attachments:
hkey-gdb (4.0 KB)

7715 posts
From what I can tell, there's multiple issues with the Qt5 build so anyone who's have trouble should:
- If on nVidia graphics, ensure that you are NOT support 376.XX video drivers.
- Try the latest daily H16 build for your platform (qt5)
- If this doesn't work then submit a bug with your exact OS, CPU, and GPU details. Attach anything relevant like the GDB stack trace.

@quryo You problem looks either GPU driver and/or XCB related. So I think if you're submitting a bug, please also include the XCB version that you've got installed.
4 posts
This is mostly for people who might find this with the search:
Since updating my system recently, I was having weird crashes with Houdini (Indie) on Arch Linux and reinstalling did not help at all.

The problem was an apparent incompatibility with the python2 package I had installed and the Python used in Houdini. For some reason, source houdini_setupdid not fix this either.

The solution was to do
cd /opt/hfs16.0.600
source houdini_setup
export PATH=/opt/hfs16.0.600/python/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/hfs16.0.600/python/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Of course, you unfortunately have to do this before each start of Houdini.

Edit: I sent a bug report to SideFX support, and you can get the same effect by doing HOUDINI_USE_HFS_PYTHON=1in your houdini.env.
Edited by quryo - May 10, 2017 05:41:51
  • Quick Links