VolumeTrails into Curves/Splines

2934   8   2
12 posts
Hi everyone,

that's the first time I am writing here so hello at first

I just started out with Houdini and so far, it is amazing, but I am also a little bit overwhelmed with all the possibilities. I have been using other 3D programs for a couple of years, so some parts are kind of familiar and some not.

So here is my question and I hope that someone can help me with it. I created some lines with a volumetrail node. As I would like to get them as asset into cinema 4d, I need them as polygons or preferable as curves. So far I managed to get them into polygons by attaching a polywire node But I am not managing to convert them into curves. Is this actually possible and if yes, which node should I use? I have been trying some different nodes but it didn't seem to work.

Have a nice evening

Anna
402 posts
Hi Anna,

if you're looking to get NURBs/beziers out then the Fit SOP could be your friend. Is C4D not happy taking the polygon curves that the trail SOP gives you?
Henry Dean
12 posts
Hey,

thanks a lot for your quick answer. The volume trail SOP only gives me these “colorful” lines which C4D isn't reading in. I attached the Fit SOP to it and I got some lovely NURBS/beziers, but C4D doesn't like them as well, which is a little bit strange. So I guess I am still doing something wrong and need to have a deeper look at it, as there wasn't any problem with the polywire SOP.
402 posts
Hmmm, sounds odd. How are you exporting/importing the geometry?
Henry Dean
12 posts
Hey,

I selected all the SOPs, clicked on the subnet button and then made a right click on the Subnet SOP and choose “create digital asset” and that's it. There is actually another thing I was wondering about, as soon as I clicked on the “create digital asset” a small lock appears next to the subnet SOP and I cannot create another asset from the subnet SOP. Is this the normal way? Because what is, if I would like to change some parameters inside my SOPs in the subnet SOP and create a second digital asset? So far it didn't let me do it.
402 posts
Oh, so you're going through the engine?

If you want to edit a locked asset, right click on it and select allow editing of contents.
Henry Dean
12 posts
yeah, I thought that is the easiest way, as I get it as a Houdini asset into C4D and can see right from the beginning how it looks and if I don't like something about it, I change it in Houdini and it is automatically updated in C4D.

Thanks for your help with the locked asset
402 posts
Great. I'm sorry I can't be of more help re the engine side of things. One of these days I'll have a proper play with that
Henry Dean
12 posts
no worries, you really helped me. So thanks a lot for your help and time
  • Quick Links