Heightfield terrein Master Class?

3403   6   2
1265 posts
I'm just wondering if we will see a Heightfield Masterclass at some point?
So many cool tools in the mix and not so much time to self explore.
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
Staff
635 posts
Werner Ziemerink
I'm just wondering if we will see a Heightfield Masterclass at some point?
So many cool tools in the mix and not so much time to self explore.

Yes, we are still working on many H16 masterclasses. One on height fields makes a lot of sense.

Cristin
3 posts
Yeah that would be really awesome.

I was wondering, is it possible to use the knew terrain nodes, with an existing displacement map/or mesh.

What I mean is, if you already have a basic starting point for your terrain, can you then in some way, feed this into the new nodes, to use things like erosion etc.

It'd probably be better to put it in a separate thread but as this is my first post, thought it more appropriate to add here?
7 posts
rvectors
I was wondering, is it possible to use the knew terrain nodes, with an existing displacement map/or mesh.

Yes definitely, use the heightfield_file node. I've imported existing maps generated in world machine.

Oluf
3 posts
Oluf Andrews
rvectors

Yes definitely, use the heightfield_file node. I've imported existing maps generated in world machine.

Oluf

Thank you very much Oluf, I did check back a couple days ago but your post only just appeared, maybe it was waiting for approval, like mine.

I haven't got it in front of me so can't give the specific names/node levels etc and I'm fairly new to it but how did you connect it up? Only a brief description if you have time.
Edited by rvectors - March 20, 2017 12:17:28
7 posts
Hi rvectors,

My response only showed up today because it had to be approved - first post. I tried to include a file here but it was too big, so here's the approach I used:

- in the heightfield node I set the overall terrain size to the same dimensions as the file I exported from world machine
- in the heightfield_file node just select the file that you want to bring in as a map. The rest of the following steps are also done in the heightfield_file node
- starting with a blank height field, a layer mode of either replace or add will work
- in the Layering section change the layer name to “height”
- in the Size section, I set it grid spacing to 1 so that the height map I imported would fill up the entire heightfield. I'm not sure if there are any other implications of changing this
- and finally under Height I played around with the scale to come up with something that generally matched what I had in world machine. I'm sure there's a better way to match wm vertical scale but I haven't played around with it enough yet

I'm still trying to piece together a workflow, but this worked for me. Let me know if you have any questions.

Oluf
3 posts
I really appreciate that Oluf, most helpful, thank you
  • Quick Links