Terrain workflow

3869   6   0
116 posts
I've been getting crashes in UE4.15 using the new terrain tools when importing a terrain that has had erosion run on it. If I save the hda set to before the erosion no crash, after, crash.

I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. Is there a primer on the proper workflow using the new terrain tools? Best practice seems a little hazy for me right now.
Simon van de Lagemaat
owner the Embassy VFX
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

We're still currently improving the support of Heightfields in the Unreal plug-in, but having an erosion node in the HDA should not cause a crash… Heightfield are detected in the hda, and should be converted automatically to Landscape by the plug-in.

Could you send us your hda so I can have a look at it?
Also what version of Houdini are you using?
116 posts
dpernuit
Hi,

We're still currently improving the support of Heightfields in the Unreal plug-in, but having an erosion node in the HDA should not cause a crash… Heightfield are detected in the hda, and should be converted automatically to Landscape by the plug-in.

Could you send us your hda so I can have a look at it?
Also what version of Houdini are you using?

Sure I'll submit a proper bug with the hda. I'm using 16.0.540.

Currently I'm not sure what we should be doing to lock the erosion simulation for export to the hda on a specific frame. Currently the hda exports frame 1 with no erosion so I tried stuff like stash nodes or just rop out and file in. Both of those cause a crash.
Simon van de Lagemaat
owner the Embassy VFX
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

I have fixed what was causing the crash you had when using the erosion node.
This was due to Unreal not liking having a landscape layer named “flowmap.x” …

Expect the fix to be available in the next 16.0 build (16.0.551).

Normally for the erosion, you should be able to use the timeshift node to export the desired frame, but it seems like we have a bug, making the timeshift and erosion node not working together well outside of Houdini.

ROP / File out the erosion should do the trick until this bug is fixed.

(the fact that they were crashing meant that the erosion was working properly, as the flowmap.x layer was created)
Edited by dpernuit - March 17, 2017 17:07:55
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

The crash should be fixed in the latest houdini build.
Also you should be able to use the timeshift node after the erosion to control it.

let me know if you still have issues with this.
116 posts
dpernuit
Hi,

The crash should be fixed in the latest houdini build.
Also you should be able to use the timeshift node after the erosion to control it.

let me know if you still have issues with this.

Awesome. I'll muck around at home to make sure it works. At work we're on CentOS6 and getting unreal engine installed has been a less than enjoyable experience plus we're still on the .20 production build.

BTW when do you guys think the production build will be updated? There are a TON of problems with the current one that have been fixed in the daily builds… so much so that the production build feels like it's a year old already… that and the poor redshift guys are getting tired of playing catch up :-)
Simon van de Lagemaat
owner the Embassy VFX
Staff
534 posts
Well good news, for the production build, you can expect one soon
  • Quick Links