terrain tools - scattered objects not rendering?

2770   2   1
147 posts
Hi,

Playing around wit the new terrain tools.

I created a simple distorted heightfield terrain, where I scattered points on with the heightfield_scatter node.
From there I use a simple box and a copytopoints node to scatter boxes on the terrain.
Both are merged into one stream.

All this works in the viewport, but the boxes don't render in a region or the renderview.
The terrain and boxes will render when selected as the node itself.

Is there something I'm missing here, or does a merge not work in this case?

rob
Edited by RobW - April 12, 2017 10:59:14
Apprentice Attribute / Houdini 17.0.381 / GTX 970 - driver 411.63
Staff
428 posts
Hi. Rendering merged heightfield is unsupported at the moment.
I recommend using Convert Heightfield SOP (and convert to poly) as a workaround.
147 posts
Hi dlee,

Yes that could work, but there are some things happening when doing that:

1. OpenGL view will now show -only- the base texture when using a ‘quickshade’ node for texturing the terrain, instead of all textures used in that node. It will render OK though, so this is a bit confusing.
2. There is a visible UV shift when comparing the heightfield render and converted terrain render.
3. When rendering the merged stream for the scattered objects, shading on the terrain is ignored, resulting in a very flat terrain render. Also the scattered objects have taken over the point color from what looks like the ‘erode’ node. Edit: Fixed this by moving the scattered points into a new geometry node via a object merge.

Maybe we need some additional ‘heightfield’ nodes? ;-)

thanks!

rob
Edited by RobW - April 13, 2017 03:49:55
Apprentice Attribute / Houdini 17.0.381 / GTX 970 - driver 411.63
  • Quick Links