Looping in materials?

2923   3   2
25 posts
Hi,

I am currently trying to build a material to achieve the look…or at least come a little closer to the skin of a chameleon…
something like this [google.de])

First I built it in sops with a lot of foreach loops and copy nodes to get different sized spheres and it somewhat looks nice and is ok for a beginner like me, but it is very slow, so I wanted to try to build a material.

I started with this…first attached image

and this is what it looks like in the render..second image

Is it possible to somehow loop over the black areas created by the rounded hexes node to create smaller hexes inbetween the larger ones without them overlapping? At the moment I have a boxes node in there…I hope someone can help me?
I am trying for days and can't seem to get anywhere
Edited by Maschinenfabrik - May 2, 2017 11:31:56

Attachments:
Shader_Setup.PNG (115.6 KB)
Render_Output.PNG (202.8 KB)

45 posts
I did something the same on hastily, using your method with “rhexes” and I think, this is will more complex, than seems. The simplest method is the displace map. Or if need procedural shader, to cook another way.
Edited by Felix6699 - May 2, 2017 17:51:03

Attachments:
hexes_ch.jpg (239.4 KB)

670 posts
Hi Maschine, did you check out voronoise? It kind of does different kind of dots all across the surface. Maybe distort them a little by another noise.
And if you still want to do it in SOPs, try abusing uvlayout: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/48941/ [sidefx.com]
https://procegen.konstantinmagnus.de/ [procegen.konstantinmagnus.de]
25 posts
thanks alot for your suggestions, I will look into the voronoise and uvlayout abuse…
Meanwhile this is what it looks like, done completely in sops!

What do you guys think? Not photorealistic but for me a good accomplishment

Attachments:
HoudiniLogoChameleon.png (1.4 MB)

• Quick Links