Triggering animation by point attribute

5913   4   2
29 posts
Good evening,
I have what seems like it should be a simple spline animation: A series of lines/curves that have their length driven by the Carve SOP. I also have the carve driving a “trigger” attribute so that where the geometry exists, the trigger value equals 1. I'm trying to use this to trigger a secondary animation along the line, basically animated geometry that's copied to the line's points. I can get the geo to copy to the line just fine, but it's all animated uniformly, rather than having the start of the animation being triggered by the trigger attribute. I'd appreciate any ideas you may have.
2548 posts
There is some information here on activating an animation so each new one starts when triggered.
http://forums.odforce.net/topic/27825-controlling-animated-instances/#comment-159221 [forums.odforce.net]
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
29 posts
Thanks, but the set up that they're talking about doesn't seem to work for me. I still get the animated geometry appearing at whatever frame the animation happens to be on when the new instance appears rather than each new instance starting at frame 1 of the animation cycle. I've attached a somewhat simplified file to show what I'm running into with the rubber toy geo animated as an example of what I'm running into.

Attachments:
Animation_Trigger.hiplc (258.5 KB)

402 posts
Hi RandomGex,

Here's a little example using the copy CHOP (which I think got discussed in the link that enivob put up). I've created a really simple animation at obj level which is read into the chopnet, then the generated channels are brought into your template geo and used to move the template points. You'll also see that rather than delete the points before the copy SOP, I'm keeping them around and using a template group on the copy. This makes loading the ‘trgger’ attr doable.

I'm sorry I didn't have more time to lookat it, so it's REALLY rough. But hopefully it sparks some ideas

Attachments:
Animation_Trigger_chop_copy.hiplc (279.7 KB)

Henry Dean
29 posts
Thanks! At first glance it seems to be what I'm looking for. I've not delved into CHOPs that much so hopefully I can get it to work for what I need.
  • Quick Links