Moved to Linux— need to build VFX Platform?

2610   4   2
17 posts
Hi!

A couple weeks ago I decided to move from macOS to Linux, and after many frustrated attempts to make CentOS behave, I’ve now switched to Fedora 25 and it pretty much works out of the box on my MacBook Pro. Great, time to install Houdini.

But here comes the catch. The INSTALL file points you to the system requirements page [www.sidefx.com], which has a link to the VFX Reference Platform [www.vfxplatform.com] under the requirements for Linux, but kinda separated from the list and gcc.

It seems that the VFX Reference Platform is for app developers and not end users according to their description, but I decided to try and make my computer compliant with it just in case. It’s becoming more and more tedious, especially when trying to build OpenSubdiv from source. Oh my God what am I doing with my life.

So the question is: is this I’m doing completely overkill for an end user, or does Houdini on Linux actually need all this software built for it to work?

Thanks in advance!
Edited by Unai - June 22, 2017 18:42:05
Staff
48 posts
You do not need to build the VFX reference platform yourself. You will need to make sure that you have installed a recent enough graphics driver (supports OpenGL 3.3).
Edited by christopherw - June 23, 2017 13:08:28
17 posts
Phew, that’s great news!

Why is there a link to the VFX Reference Platform under the requirements then? Is it correct to assume that gcc 4.8 isn’t required either? As far as I know that’s also for developing.

Thanks!
806 posts

… with that said: If you aren't going to develop (outside VEX, Python, HScript etc), you don't need a compiler (GCC). I would consider the link to the VFX reference platform just as what it is named: A REFERENCE, not a 1:1 requirement. When in doubt what to go for, you can find “commonly agreed upon specifications” there.

Best thing when trying to switch to Linux, however, is not to have doubts in the first place (says the guy who just wasted over 20 hours of his life installing CentOS for some Houdini tests - what a loss!)

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
17 posts
Yeah I agree about being brave now: fortunately most things you don’t need are super easy to uninstall cleanly on Linux! Or so it seems anyway
  • Quick Links