Hair Collisions

2361   6   1
42 posts
Hello! So I have hair on my character made, and the typical guide curves controlling the shape and are dynamic as a wire solver. However currently the wire solver is working just fine but when I make the animated geometry a deforming or RBD object and try to run a flipbook the computer instantly hangs and can't handle the calculations.

Is there anyway I might be doing something wrong? I'm new so this clearly must not be the most optimized method but as usual I can't seem to find enough documentation on how to get hair collisions to really get started so if anyone has any good sources I'd also take that!

Thanks so much for your time as always!!!
408 posts
Man, every question related to hair dynamics here gets ignored :$ Is the hair dynamic system broken or something? Or literally nobody knows anything hair simulation around here?

Cheers,

A.
Edited by Adriano - July 27, 2017 22:28:23
806 posts
Adriano, I am sure that questions about -insertarbitrarytopic- are not “ignored” as you put it.

But with a problem that points to a local issue with the computer used OR the very specific scene file, it is almost impossible to *guess* what a solution could be without having access to at least the scene file.

The thread opener stated that he got the system as such working (wire solver), so he doesn't exactly ask anything about “hair dynamics” as you claim, but about “why does my scene hang up Houdini”, which, like mentioned above, may be a local thing limited to his system and/or setup.

If you have a question about hair dynamics - try asking it. Since the thread opener has a setup that seems to work for hair dynamics (just not for rendering/flipbooking :-) ), he might even be able to answer your question ;-)

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
408 posts
Sorry for the cheap trick, i kinda knew someone would show up to lecture me about this obvious off topic comment. But my question about hair dynamics i already asked it and the post is left unanswered after two weeks. But i guess it's normal, this guy up here has been waiting for 3 months, so…

But thanks for the lecture, it sure was a lot of text that didn't really help anyone, did it?

Again, sorry about that, desperate times, desperate measures.

Cheers,

A.
Edited by Adriano - July 28, 2017 06:16:44
806 posts
He … didn't want to lecture anyone. If you feel like that was “too much text that didn't help anyone” (I guess you were looking into some mirror?) … I'll just shut up and don't look at your other post. (Hint: I am not reading the forums every day but was interested in the hair topic.)

Yeah - signing off now, don't want to roll you over with “lots of text”.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
408 posts
Read your post again, it's neither about his problem or about mine. It's just about telling me how wrong and off topic i am. But thanks for sparing me of more, appreciated.

A.
Staff
329 posts
shaneroshea
Hello! So I have hair on my character made, and the typical guide curves controlling the shape and are dynamic as a wire solver. However currently the wire solver is working just fine but when I make the animated geometry a deforming or RBD object and try to run a flipbook the computer instantly hangs and can't handle the calculations.

Is there anyway I might be doing something wrong? I'm new so this clearly must not be the most optimized method but as usual I can't seem to find enough documentation on how to get hair collisions to really get started so if anyone has any good sources I'd also take that!

Thanks so much for your time as always!!!

Is the number of curves being sent to the wire solver changing over time? Providing a non-animated “rest” attribute may fix this problem.
  • Quick Links