how to select connected

11953   6   1
6 posts
Hi,

I got a complex object with some seperate meshes.
Now I wonna select any face and from this state all connected (not the whole geometry).
Next problem is to select only those faces which faced to the camera, without selecting any face behind which is also faced, but not directly visible.

Remembering Houdini 6, there was an option to do so :?

Could you help me?

Thanks!

andre
412 posts
hey andre,

on the left of the viewer pane there is a tow away bar with selection and handle options.. the one that looks like a yellow cube (hotkey -) is the select whole geometry button. a few below that is your front/back selection (hotkey b).. however i find that paint selection mode sometimes works best when selecting only front points…

i also suggest that you go over the UI help documentation.. a lot of these things are explained in there and will get you up and running faster than waiting for an answer on the forums.. Both ‘Getting started with Houdini’ and ‘Houdini Basics’ are both great sections to check out.. Also, don't forget the search function.. A quick search for ‘whole geometry’ gets you right where you need..

hth
Dave Quirus
6 posts
hey deecue,

sorry my enlish is not very good.
I already know the slection-modes (Front, Back, Brush, Lasso……), there is no problem.
I wanna select all faces, which are directly connected to the actual selected faces. They should be true “neighbours” which shared the same points with the actual selection.

I already used the documentation to search for some ideas about it.
But there is not exactly what I'm searching for.
In other programs for example, it's called “select connected”.

andre
Staff
3455 posts
you could try just using the hotkays to gange selection types - and by that ‘grow’ your selection…
try selecting a primitive then hitting “1” then “4”
selecting “1” will change the selection to points then “4” will change it back to primitives…which will be your ‘connected’ faces..

HTH
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
1631 posts
There is an option “Select Connected Primitives” or hit “7” when selecting in the viewport. I think that should be what you're looking for.

Cheers!
steven
6 posts
Hi Steven,

thank you!!

That was to easy, but exactly what I'm looking for ops:

andre
12 posts
I clicked Double clicked and polygon to select only connected points.
3D Hello!
  • Quick Links