UV Mapping file from Adobe Illustrator

2227   5   2
4 posts
I am totally new to Houdini but I have spent 2 days on something I thought would be easy. How do I assign UV texture to Illustrator art? I saved the Illustrator file as ai8 and was able to import it as geometry without any problem. When I assign a UV Texture and a UVQuickShade I get nothing. Any tips would be much appreciated. I want to map a procedural shape that I can bring into Unity with a UVs that hopefully update when parameters are changed.

Attachments:
Houdini-UV.PNG (63.6 KB)

1743 posts
Any chance you could post a HIP file and an AI file showing what's going on? It's a bit hard to tell from a screenshot, though if I had to make a wild guess, the File SOP is loading the illustrator geometry in the XY plane, in which case, the Projection Axis for the Orthographic Projection would need to be Z Axis, instead of Y Axis.

You'll also need to click the display flag (the rightmost area of a node) on whichever node you want to display. The screenshot you've posted has the display flag on the File SOP, so that's what'll be displayed, even though the UV Texture SOP is selected. (Sorry; you've probably figured that much out already, but I figured I'd mention it, just in case.)
Edited by neil_math_comp - Jan. 9, 2018 00:14:05
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
4 posts
Thanks ndickson

I tried the Z axis thinking that would be the problem a bunch of times but I might be doing it wrong. I have attached the files. They are super straight forward. I am sure it is something simple.

Attachment Not Found
Attachment Not Found

Attachments:
Slash-1.ai (722.1 KB)

4 posts
Here is the Houdini file:
Attachment Not Found

Attachments:
Slash-Asset.hiplc (480.2 KB)

7771 posts
UV works fine. The graphic is black though, making the quickshade texture invisible. Delete the color attribute to see the texture in the scene view.

Attachments:
slash.PNG (479.8 KB)

4 posts
Thanks jsmack!

That worked. This is clearly going to be an intense learning curve from C4D but I want the procedural super powers.

Thanks again for your help.
  • Quick Links