unreal_split_instances - generate StaticMeshComponent instead of InstanceStaticMeshComponents

4015   2   3
603 posts
Greetings,

We've added a new feature to the latest 16.5 builds of the plugin. It introduces two new attributes - unreal_split_instances and unreal_instance_color:
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/unreal/_attributes.html#AttributesInput [www.sidefx.com]

unreal_split_instances means generate a UStaticMeshComponent for each instance, when you have Packed Geos. (By default you get one UInstanceStaticMeshComponent per mesh). In addition, the unreal_instance_color is an override on the vertex colors for each instance. This is a per-component color, not per-mesh. This can be used to provide variations to scattered instances. For example I can scatter 20 instances of 4 kinds of rocks on a surface, where each instance has a random color. I can then use that color in the ue4 material to provide some further variation to the instances.

Let us know what you think.

Attachments:
Capture.PNG (566.7 KB)

4 posts
Could you share an example houdini file for doing unreal_instance_color ?
I figured how to instance in UE4 but not sure how I can use the point color attributes to change instance color. Attached my current scene file.

Thank you!

Image Not Found
Edited by akihavana - May 4, 2020 20:26:17

Attachments:
balloon_text_UEinstance_HDA.3.hiplc (435.3 KB)

1 posts
Hi chrisgreb, I am trying to implement this attribute into my HDA but not able to find any tutorial on how to do that. It is supposed to be a detail attribute but i dont understand how can one implement that. Thanks for your help in advance.
  • Quick Links